Very sick degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Very sick degu

Our female degu had 5 babies. The babies are 4 weeks old tomorrow. Everyone was doing very well until yesterday when we noticed the one baby had a closed eye. He was active, eating drinking so we figured he'ed gotten scratched in it by one of his littermates. Around noon today we noticed both his eyes were closed but he was still active, eating etc. We had mom out then and were handling her, she was fine. Early this evening I noticed that mom's one eye is closed and that the baby is sneezing. I took mom out of the cage and could feel her backbone. I didn't feel it this morning when she was out. She feels like she has wasted and very quickly. There is no signs of diarhea in the cage and I watched mom and baby eating and drinking this morning. Both their teeth are orange.

We have moved the 4 seemingly healthy babies to a cage in another room. Luckily the babies have been eating and drinking on their own for at least a week although they still do nurse on occasion. Mom and the sick baby are together.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this. Any suggestions on what to do until we can contact the vet? Frankly I don't think mom will make it until tomorrow. I can't believe how fast she has gone downhill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I just replied on CNQ but will post here for reference of anyone else who may need it in the future:

I'd try to find a vet that's open for emergencies tonight if you can. If none are available, I'd do a warm compress on the eyes to help relieve that irritation. Keep them warm and if they seem to have upper respiratory issues, you can run a hot shower and get the bathroom all steamy, then take them in the bathroom for a few minutes at a time to help break up the congestion.

Some Nutri-Cal might help with energy and calorie requirements in the meantime if you have any also.

But again, I'd try to reach a vet tonight. With as fast as they're deteriorating I'd bet they need to be hospitalized.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jade
I answered on CnQ about there being no exotics vet. We haven't got nutri-cal but the room is very warm and I'll stick the vapourizer in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 12:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope they do better for you hon.

Stephanie

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
The vet on call last night was not small animal knowledgable. This morning mom still has the almost closed one eye but is amazingly alert and bright looking and was sitting eating. The baby is the same as before, no worse, with two eyes closed. So far the other 4 are looking fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

You need to get the eyes open to avoid infection and thus possible blindness. Use a warm compress and then you might have to gently pull them open. Are they closed cause they are sticky?

You might also ask on the Degu groups on Yahoo as someone might be able to give you more advice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mom's eye was gooey earlier but she has since cleaned it. It is still almost shut. I'll do the warm compresses after the vet calls.
Now, mom seems completely normal except for the eye. She is active, bathing, eating etc.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Update on the degus.

We couldn't get into the vet yesterday and the baby died late yesterday afternoon. Poor little guy/girl.
Mom checked out fine so is recovering on her own and doesn't need antibiotic. She is on eyedrops for the gooey eye which has opened on its own.
Another baby has a shut eye now and he is on antibiotics with enough to dose all of them if they come down with it over the holidays. He/she also is to have the eyedrops.
He recommened to weigh everyone, including the chins, hedgies and bunnies daily and if anyone starts losing weight to get them on the antibiotic. He also thinks the degu got it because they are babies and mom was stressed from the birth. He bets it is pasteruella (sp?)