Visited Degus at the Zoo! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Visited Degus at the Zoo!

Hi all!

this weekend, i visited Marwell Zoo in Hampshire, and in the pets section, they have a whole group of Degus! Its a great enclosure, I'll be posting photos of them sometime this week! Its inspired me to build mine a big enclosure (if i'm allowed)!

I confess i nearly shouted at some lady who came in, took one look at them and went "Eurgh, Rats!!!" (I like rats). How could she say they were rats? They are MUUUUCCCHHH cuter and cuddlier

There are also degus at Birdworld, nr Farnham, and at Longleat apparently... anyone know of any other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:58 PM

My husband and I have a sunroom that we gave our degus at one point and they loved the freedom. The only problem was getting in with no escapees! We set up lots of things for them to climb and it was great to sit in the room with them so they could climb on us. I bet your degus would absolutely LOVE a large enclosure Good luck with that
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:49 PM

Cant wait to see the pics Sammy.. I know they have degus at Longleat, but I have never seen them in any zoo in the UK..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, unfortunately, we are only renting at the minute, so we cant really build a huge enclosure.... but we are trying to buy!!
And i need to persuade my boyf to help me build it! One of the places we are looking at has a sun room so i might try building one!!!

Marwell and Bridworld have them in the pet sections! Its great seeing them somewhere... it means they are getting the publicity they deserve!!

I have a neighbour who asked her vet friend if she'd heard of degus. the vet said the were "The IN thing at the minute... the cool pets to have". Made me giggle!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They also have degus at Drayton Manor Park and Zoo but you have to walk through the rest of the smelly zoo to get to them first (you might want to take a clothes peg as when i went it really stunk and it wasn't even a warm day was october time and freezing) and the enclosure wasn't that big but it was crammed full of degu's and i also heard people calling them rats there too which annoyed me to distraction so i bit my tongue

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

What makes it worse, is that they have a sign up saying they are Degus! She was stood in front of it when she said it! Nearly got angry!

The degu keeper at marwell seemed a bit surprised that they'd just had a degu population explosion! They might end up as cramped as Drayton if they carry on the way they're going!

Might try and visit all these places!