we lost our degu :( what do i do with the one left? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

we lost our degu :( what do i do with the one left?

about 5 months ago we adopted a pair of male degus from pets at home. they had no idea what the age of the degus were, only knew that they had been given away due to fighting. pets at home tried to separate them and they just cried for each other for two weeks before they then tried neturing one of them. they have been happy little chaps ever since.

we lost one of the males (edward) today, he lost alot of weight very suddenly and yesterday was just lying in the cage cold and panting. the pdsa told us there was nothing they could do, so we had him put to sleep.

I am concerned about the remaining degu (gezelle, my daughter named him lol)
he seems very sad, naturally, and is crying out alot. should i just give him alot of attention, do i find him a friend? i heard trying to integrate them is very hard and i dont want to stress the little guy out any more.

ideas guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Zoo Keeper

usually depending on age it really is best to try to give them a cagemate ... If he is the neutered male he may take very well to a young female/ female pair I find introducing girls to boys tends to be easier with most animals.

Did the vet tell you roughly how old the boy was? They live I think around 8 years. So if he is under like 7 you really should try introductions they are very social and can develop many problems living alone.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Zoo Keeper

Mods could you please delete this and the above post? Its merely spam and not helping the poster at all.

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm very sorry for your loss .

Introducing degus is much easier than other animals as long as you move slowly . Is the remaining male the neutered one? If so, the easiest intro would be with a female...with a baby female being easiest. But even if he's intact, introducing him to a young male is doable . You generally start by having the cages next to each other, mixing up bedding between both cages. I can give you further details once you've found another degu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Mods could you please delete this and the above post? Its merely spam and not helping the poster at all.
Please use the "Report Post" button in the future for problems like that .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Zoo Keeper

I didnt know that there was a report post button

I agree with Sasami if he is the neutered male it should be easy and even if he isnt its very doable.

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Newborn Pup

I've got the same problem. I had 2 male degus (Crash and Lightning) but sadly, one of them passed away 2 days ago due to a possible stroke. The one left (crash) is 3 years old. Crash and Lightning didn't get along in their cage since they where 6 months old and so i had to split them up, but they saw each other frequently out side of the cage. I feel that crash will still miss his brother and so needs a new degu friend. What is the best thing to do? I am thinking about getting a new ,male pup because i have heard that pups are easier to introduce. Also, i don't want Crash to go through any unneccesary operations. Any ideas on what to do?

Tags
loss