What is a Degus? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Red face What is a Degus?

does anyone have any pictures or anything? I've heard that they are related to chinchillas, and look like oversized gerbils, but before I came here, I had never heard of them. can anyone show me?

also, in the pocket pals adoptions, how come I'm not allowed to adopt a dugus(or a bird). is it just me, or is it everyone? can somebody please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:23 PM

What you refered to is correct. They look like large gerbils, they're related to chinchillas and guinea pigs, and they're very friendly small animals.

http://images.google.com/images?q=de...-8&sa=N&tab=wi ... is a google image search if you're curious what they look like.

http://www.google.com/search?q=degu&...-8&sa=N&tab=iw ... is a google search for information regarding the species.

I have kept them, if you have any specific questions I'll be glad to answer.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 PM

I am 11 years old, I got 2 degus from a friend. Dad built me a cage, pretty big one, I think 1.5 feet square and 3 ft high. They like it a lot. The were in a large birdcage before, but it was to small and they like to climb and run. So we put a bunch of tree branches in it, so they can climb. We feed them rabbit pellets, and fresh grass, and always lots of water, we have that in one of them bottles with the metal spout. We also have a ball that they can run around the room in, when they need excercise. It is fun. we also give them alfalfa, and Dad built them a house to sleep in. There is clumping cat litter in a bread pan, and they like to have a dust bath in it. The also use it for the bathroom but I don't like that much. I also like to give them apple, and fresh leafs from the trees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 02:42 PM

Hi FredLake! Your cage sounds really cool. Be sure and post pics! Oh, and don't forget in introduce yourself in the introductions part of the forum! Nice to meet you!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 10:05 PM

I don't know about using clumping cat litter for dustbath.

One would think that would be dangerous, especially if they urinated on it and it clumped up around areas of their body.

I could be wrong though!

Tags
dust bath, guinea pig, rabbit pellets