what to do with Galvenized wire - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ok thanks. I didn't they were that crafty. And yes they are called the C&C cages. I was wondering about the holes, I'm glad you told me. I know now what the coroplast is, I guess they would chew through it pretty easy!!!

Does anyone know of any EASY homemade cages? that a non-creative, non-talented person could make! It sounds like a homemade cage would be cheaper and give them more entertainment. I've read that goos get bored in tanks, I don't want that!

P.S. its good that you shot that idea down!!! LOL!!!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I think I just found some mesh ones on that same site. Would they be okay?

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

maybe not. It has pretty big holes where you connect the cubes together. Heres a pic:

You're right. I think I had jsut better go w/ the tank topper, but still open to ideas....

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Oh yes, I fell in love with those Guinea Pig cages from the first moment I saw them! They're fantastic! Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, naughty Degus could not be contained in such a creation.

The cage system I currently use is halfway home made. I have 2 cages that have doorways like this one: (click to see it bigger)

That's not the cage I have, but the door opens the same. (They'd chew right through that cage, lol!)

Anyhoo, I took the door OFF one of the cages, and then slid them together. The cage is totally Degu safe, and the doorways of the cages connect them. If that makes sense. To open the cage system, I just slide the cages apart.

Here's a picture, you can see Imana standing in the "walkway" that connects her 2 cages: (click on it to see a bigger version)

I hope this makes sense, it's kind of hard for me to explain!
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Build your own Grotto-style cage

This looks relatively easy to do, but I'd be concerned about the goos chewing through the wood shelves. That could be fairly easily corrected by stapling the same material you use for the screen on the front around the exposed edges of the shelves.

These guys can chew through just about anything! My girls have chewed a hole through their wooden house. The house is almost an inch thick, and they've chewed a hole big enough to use as a backdoor.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 PM

When I was looking for a new cage I considered making my own. The only thing was I couldn't find any wire that was not galvanized. I'm glad to see you are open to more options, just continue to be cautious about what you choose. I finally ended up just buying a huge cage similar to this Petsmart.com - Small Pet: Habitats & Cages: Ware Mfg. Ferret/Chinchilla Cage with Drop Pan
only three stories (actually, if you can find a cage on petsmart.com I think they have free shipping on orders over $50 right now) because finding the supplies to make my own was more difficult than finding an already made cage...
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidance View Post
Build your own Grotto-style cage

This looks relatively easy to do, but I'd be concerned about the goos chewing through the wood shelves. That could be fairly easily corrected by stapling the same material you use for the screen on the front around the exposed edges of the shelves.

These guys can chew through just about anything! My girls have chewed a hole through their wooden house. The house is almost an inch thick, and they've chewed a hole big enough to use as a backdoor.
I have wooden shelves in all my goo's cages and that was my main worry as they have destroyed houses and nest boxes in the past within a few days But after the initial "oooooohhhhh new wood" phase and the odd nibble they have actually left them alone and they are all in tact and pretty much as new still Nowhere near as bad as i thought they would be

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Sorry pixidance, it might just be my computer, but I can't get on that website, it comes up internet Explorer Cannot Display This Webpage :/ ???

Have placed an ad in my paper, and have recieved two calls so far The first guy is supposed to come either today or tommarrow, I told him all about the galvenized wire thing, and he said that he know's all about it, so idk, he still wants it though.

leplake, I don't know about that cage, it might jsut be me, but the second floor looks really flimsy? but it's a great cage. Lots of room and everything. Like i said maybe it's just me lol!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

manasmom,
what did you do to the bottom of the cages? Aren't they still plastic, or did you just use the doors off from that cage and not the actual cage.

Okay, here's my question: for cage bars like the one pictured above by manasmom, how far apart can the wires be so that goos don't escape? At a small petstore I found a guinea pig cage--like the one pictured above-- except it had a metal bottom, the also had a chinchilla cage like that with a metal bottom, I guess they are new or something. I was going to get it and just add levels and ramps and other things, but I didn't know of how big the spacing could be. In that style of cage their is one for: hamsters, ferrets, Guinea Pigs, and Ferrets, non for rats, which probably would have worked. Does anyone know what the spacing should be? Thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 PM

Oh, I think I may have mistakenly answered this question on the other thread! Doh!

The bars on my cages are about 7/8 of an inch apart. The cages you're seeing would probably work, I think all the bars are spaced pretty uniformly on those kinds of cages.

Yes, with a metal bottom you are better off - if you get a plastic bottom you'll have to rig a way to make it chew-proof.

I think if you were to get a couple of those cages you've seen, you could put them together and doctor them up with your own levels, tunnels, tubes, and other activities in a very nice way. At least that's one option since you've had such a hard time finding a cage!
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah, thats a good idea, and it probably would work! I don't know how much they cost or how big they are, I will have to see. Another thing is, I don't know how to make ramps and other levels! I am not the hardware type person! Thanks for the idea!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I am now thinking of making my own. It seems fairly easy, although right now the only thing I have done is draw it on paper!!! I've been looking at the cage I got of from ebay--yes I still have it-- and I found the supplies that they used on martins, all I would need to do is find the wire.

Hey pixidance, I was finally able to get onto that link. What great cages! That actually gave me the idea to try and find a glass maker to make a special tank to fit onto the bottom of what I hope will be a cage.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 PM

Ferret, chinchilla, and guinea pig cages normally have 1 inch by 4 inch bar spacing which is way too big for degus. They need 1/2 inch bar spacing max (that is what it says on every other degu site I've visited anyway). Here is an awesome idea for a cage, you can get this wire shelving from any hardware store. I've already been to my local home depot and priced it, it looks cheap and easy to make and you can get it with 1/2 inch spacing.

Rats of the Round Table -- Camelot (How to build a huge cage for 50 bucks)
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

That's a great site! I would have never thought of using those wire shelves for a cage! I will have to look the next time I go to a store that sells that kind of stuff. The only thing I wouldn't like is the heavy part, but hey, I can deal!! LOL Thanks for the site. Anyone else have any links to share????

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:48 AM

I'm glad you like my suggestion I've been searching a looooong time and thats really the best idea I've come across.
I picked up a piece of it when I was there and it really wasn't heavy (and I am weak and disabled). I plan on getting a 6' x 20" piece and a 6' x 16" piece, and making a cage thats 20" long x 16" deep x 24" tall. And that will leave some left over to make doors, ramps, and shelves. I plan on putting it together with plastic zip ties. (She could chew through them but I doubt she would chew through enough in one night to escape).

Tags
bird cage, cage bars, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, guinea pig food, nest box, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, pig cages, pig food, rabbit cage, rat cage, sugar glider, timothy hay, wire cage, wire cages