what to do with Galvenized wire - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I will have to check the next time I go to a store. thanks

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 PM

I use plastic zip ties for several different elements in my cages. At first, I had to replace many of them on a regular basis. lol

But that is very true, they never chewed through enough to cause a major problem, or escape.

And, now that she's used to having them in there, she hasn't chewed one in a VERY long time.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 PM

hehe, yeah, I'm counting on having to replace them, I will be constantly checking them. My cage is almost done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Make sure to post a pic. when it's done! Maybe I will get some Ideas!!!!! LOL

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM

It is done! I went to take a picture of it today but my batteries are dead :/
I used coroplast for the base but the bars fit down inside it with lots of bedding so she can't chew on the plastic. She really loves it and I'm pleased I will post a picture as soon as I get new batteries

I just made another cage today for my new chinchilla. But I made that one with NIC cubes (C&C cage).
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Can't wait to see it!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Glad it's finally done! I hope your little ones totally enjoy their new cages!

I think it's so much fun to do projects like that - especially when they get inside and thank you for working so hard for them.
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 AM

I finally got batteries for my camera so here are a couple pics of the cage

post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Wow!!! That's great! How does she get to the hammock and stuff?? I wonder if you can get that shelving any wider to make a longer and wider cage. Thanks now I've got a bunch of ideas. I'm gonna be doing a lot of searching online!!! LOL Yay thanks!!!!!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Oh, shes a wonderful climber, the bars are horizontal and she climbs up to everything very easily. The bag is hanging over her rope toy so she can crawl out on that and then climb into the bag from there.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh, neat! About how much did you pay for one panel of the shelving? Do you know the specific name of it? I tried to look for it online, but i didn't know what it was called so I didn't find it, but I know it's in stores. Thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM

As far as I know its just called wire shelving. A 6 foot length 16 inches wide was $15, and a 6 foot length 20 inches wide was $18. The sheet of corogated plastic was 4'x8' and cost $18, but you really only need a 3'x6' sheet and that is $13 (where I live). That you need to get at a sign store, there is a guide online somewhere that lists a bunch of sign stores all over the country that you can get it from.
The shelving is at any large hardware store such as home depot, lowe's, etc.

I do plan on add a small shelf in the cage at some point just because there is wasted space right now.
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I am looking into your idea. When I looked at Wal-mart yesterday, They had some that was three feet tall, and only 12" wide, too small. I will go to look at Home Depot when I have more time. Anyways, could anyone tell me what Welded Wire is? I found another cage topper on ebay, and am asking first. I figured that if that is okay, I will settle with that for now until I find material (which I am now looking for) and some much needed--and somehow always gone!-- money! I went pet siting this weekend and made some good money, then I went to Wal-mart Bye-Bye money!! Although it was spent on three bags of guinea pig food and two bags of timothy hay. I will try and post a pic of the cage I am looking at on ebay.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Here is a pic:

The dimensions are: 24" tall x 20 1/2" - 21" long x 11" wide. It has four levels, not including the tank.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Just to be safe, I'd stay clear of that. I've seen some cages like that one and they were galvanized. If and if it's not galvanized, and not coated in something else, it will rust quickly.. so I imagine it is.

Tags
bird cage, cage bars, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, guinea pig food, nest box, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, pig cages, pig food, rabbit cage, rat cage, sugar glider, timothy hay, wire cage, wire cages