what do i do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

what do i do?

I am looking forward to getting my firts pair of degus. It has taken me forever to find a breeder near me, but there is no information on them. i talk to them on AOL and have a pair of 6 month old males on hold for me if i want them. I havn't seen them or know anything more then how old they are. I do want them but i don't want any problems with them. my last pet was a headgehog from a store that had no background information and endedup with lots of disabilaties.

i was wondering if there are any questions i should ask the breeder, so i can know she is ligitamet and that i won't get a problematic animal?

thank you for any ideas you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Without seeing the degus you can't know whether you are getting healthy stock or not so its all down to trust i suppose, do you trust the breeder in question as she could easily lie to you on here? The only way to tell if degus are healthy is a thorough inspection in person, looking at whether the degu's in question and the rest of her stock are healthy, so a nice shiny coat and eyes and looks like they are in good condition bodywise and also alert and active and they should be friendly. No animal is without its problems at some point and even a healthy animal now could get ill in the future so you must bare that in mind! When you say there is no information do you mean on breeders or degus? As theres a lot of informative degu sites out there now unlike when i first got mine 6 years ago and there was non. Degus make great pets and very friendly and i advise anyone if they have the time and space to go for it as they make very rewarding pets

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Adolescent Pup

i agree. also check they have nice orange teeth as this is a sign of a healthy degu and make sure they dont have cloudy eyes as this is usually a sign of cataracts. it would be good if you could see the parents too to check if they are healthy.

www.degutopia.co.uk

this is a good site for info, i hope you get some degu's coz they are great!!!

Jo x x x

[Mr & Mrs Degu and 3 babies!]