What do I do now.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Question What do I do now....

my sweet girl, tepal, is left lonesome now. I need tips from all you solo goo-ers, and multi-gooers. how long could she mourn for? shoudl i move her into a slightly smaller cage so i can have her closer to me. or should i leave her undisturbed. she's really upset with me, clucks like a chicken at me, i dont' know what to do for her i want to comfort her and hug her, do something, but she's uninterested right now. please any help would be appreciated

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sorry to hear of your loss She will instinctively know her sister has gone and your main concern will be Tpol getting lonely as she has been used to company. You could try giving her a teddy bear, the best kind are the ones designed for babies as they usually are pretty safe. I wouldn't remove her from the cage as it is what she is used to but you could try totally cleaning the cage out and rearranging it to take her mind of being alone, this will also give her something to do. And talk to her as much as possible and give her as much attention as you can, that doesn't mean picking her up and cuddling her neccessarily but just talking to her and stroking her through the bars etc....

Every degu is different some get lonely whilst some in the case of my Basil love being alone with extra attention from the owner daily. I know its a little soon yet but in the future have you thought about getting her a friend? If introduced correctly you should have no problems.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM

eek I think that the advice kristy said is about right
Just keep talking to your goo and maybe give it treats aften so it will bond with you...... I had one that was alone but he didn't have any problems with me giving him attention........ So I guess they are all different personality wise....... I hope she will be ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:59 AM

yeah... i agree.... keep talking to her... she'll feel better soon.

i think sitting and talking to them is a great thing. i try and make a concious effort to sit and talk to them every day for 10 mins... i usually tell them off for making a mess and just tell them about my day. its the fact that you're directing all you attention to them for a period of time. maybe finish the conversation with a treat.

She'll soon see you as her bestest buddy again!

i agree about the teddy too... or a heatpad...!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

good ideas guys, thanks so much. i'll give her a teddy asap

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't know much about Degus but I hope that things work out for you and Tpol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 PM

I'm not as experienced as other people, so I can't really add anything. Except she probably missed cuddling with her sister, and I wonder if there's teaddyu bears that you can put a hot water bottle in? That way it would feel more life like. My degu's alone now too...and since the other one died she always naps by the heater, or lately even ON me.
Let her run around the room and stuff, and eventually she may come to you for attention..bribe her with a treat! Once they've seen everything in the room, they get too bored not to see you! But I guess it's true all degus are different.
Good luck! And I'm really sory for your lost!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

i gave her a teddy bear today, i think she's indifferent to it. she's picked at his fur at bit but nothing destructive. she takes treats from me, and has come out of her cage to run around (in the pen). i give a treat, she takes it in the cage and stashes it, comes out for more. she runs around. but sometimes, the few times i go against my instinct to leave her alone and put my hand near for her to sniff, without a treat, i get clucked at, so i go away and come back tomorrow. her and i will be okay i think, she just doesn't want me to be the forward one, and that's fine, i have nothing but time

Tags
teddy bear