What are your degus' favorite foods? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What are your degus' favorite foods?

Hikaru loves carrots and romaine lettuce. He also enjoys sweet potatoes. Ichigo likes sunflower seeds, sun-dried tomato chips, amd the occasional walnut. They both love corn but can't have very much.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 AM

mine seem to like anything that is bad for them!! they love veggies too though, i give mine yoghurt drops very sparingly but they are mad for them!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:56 AM

Red face

Mine like:
Carrots chopped up and peeled
Baby sweetcorn
Brussell sprouts
Broccolli
Cauliflower
Tomato skin
Cucumber
Curly kale
Cabbage
The occassional peanut
Bite size shredded wheat

These have all been tried and tested and prove to be very popular!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 PM

Favorite foods....

Our degus remind me VERY much of our doggy Taz - They just plain like food and they will do wnything for it - so I really can't nail it down to just one favorite. LOL BUT I really have to say that the weekly whole hazel nut comes close to inciting a riot.

Last edited by nygerbil; 02-24-2005 at 01:49 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Mine have not eaten any veggies I've given them (broccoli, green beans, peas, carrots, kale, romaine). I gave them a whole walnut once - they had a great time gnawing the shell but ignored it completely once they got to the nut. I've got crazy degus. Their favorite is oat hay. I also give them oats and spray millet for treats. The millet is so cute - they eat it like corn on the cob, one on each end. I gave them quinoa once and they loved it, but I've never been able to find out if it's good for them... What can I do to get my girls to eat veggies?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well Basil will only eat his dried food plus the odd piece of dried carrot and a raison and off course the odd nut and dried bread, he won't touch any veggies at all turns his nose up at them and they could rot in his cage if left to him as once you put them on his shelf he avoids them at all costs lol. Rupert on the other hand will eat a few selected veggies such as broccolli, cucumber skin and tomato and all the things Basil likes aswell so hes not as picky but i've had him since he was a little baby so i have encouraged him to eat them although i sometimes think Basil is a bad influence as Rupert see's him not eating them so thinks why should I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardigrade
What can I do to get my girls to eat veggies?
I basically think theres nothing you can do, keep trying them but if they continue to turn their noses up then i'd leave them too it, as they are obviously happy without them in their lives and you can't really make them eat them if they don't want to! Have you had them since they were babies or were they older when you got them? As thats usually a deciding factor in what they will eat as if they haven't been brought up on veggies then they usually have no interest or so i have found

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 02-24-2005 at 05:36 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I gave them quinoa once and they loved it, but I've never been able to find out if it's good for them... What can I do to get my girls to eat veggies?
Have you tried sweet potatoes? Ichigo, who also won't eat most veggies, loves it. Also, you could try celery. Some enjoy it. Mine liked it when they were babies but now won't eat it . They're so picky!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Have you had them since they were babies or were they older when you got them? As thats usually a deciding factor in what they will eat as if they haven't been brought up on veggies then they usually have no interest or so i have found
Good point. I've noticed that as well. I got Ichigo when she was older and she is very wary of new foods.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 07:28 AM

I got them from rescue - they told me they are two years old. Haven't tried sweet potato, but I think I have one...

I got a hamster from rescue too - I was able to talk with his old mom a lot and she said he had never had veggies but he took right to them. I think the degus are just picky.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
What can I do to get my girls to eat veggies?
One thing I do notice when it comes to veggies - mine will ONLY eat them at room temp. They must have sensitive teeth to the cold because if I put a cold carrot in the come to it, scrunch their little face up and walk away. If it is room temp they will eat it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Well Basil will only eat his dried food plus the odd piece of dried carrot
Well dried is better than no - We add dried split green and yellow peas to our food and garbonzo beans - soup mix items. We also put in whole oats, plain dry cat food, and flax seeds. They are all dry items BUT very hearthy for them.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I mix my own food for him so he gets variety in his diet and i agree dried food is better than non at all, degu's are just picky by nature i think in captivity they know they can be so they are as they can get away with it

Kirsty

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:14 PM

For people who make their own mixes, what's your recipe? Thanks.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I use a few chinchilla pellets although not too many (as i have heard they are bad for them), a handful of guinea pig biscuits, a handful of guinea pig food with any bad offending items removed and a handful of degu mix which you can now get over here in the UK, which contains things such as seeds, wheat, pea flakes, split peas and dried carrot and turnip amongst other things, mine seem to love it

Kirsty

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I finally got some Brisky's diet degu food but before I used to mix my own. I used mostly Hagen guinea pig pellets along with some Chinchilla mix (make sure to get one without sugar) that I picked the raisins out of. I also provide hay and lots of different vegetables.

~Stephanie

Tags
cat food, chinchilla pellets, degu food, dry cat food, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, hagen guinea pig pellets, oat hay, pig food, romaine lettuce, shredded wheat, sunflower seeds