What's in your Degu mix? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

What's in your Degu mix?

I'm wondering what everyone else feeds their Degus?
Mine really enjoy this new extruded Guinea Pig Pellet I am buying from "Living World", no molases or anything in it, so far it's the best thing I can find and I'm quite happy with it.

My Degu Mix...

I tried the parsley flakes in the last mix... they didn't go over well. I'm trying puffed wheat this time and so far everyone enjoys it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM

I use a 1/2 mix of Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Guniea Pig pellets and a 1/2 mix of Ridestella chinchilla pellets every day. We also give them two handfuls of Living World timothy hay twice a day and some Kaytee Healthy Toppings (carrots and sweet potato) sprinkled on their pellet mix every other day.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I feed Brisky's Diet Degu Pellets which they do really well on. I used to feed Hagen guinea pig pellets and Charlie Chinchilla mix before degu pellets were available.

They definately get more vegetables then pellets, though. Mostly romaine lettuce, carrots, and sweet potatoes. And sometimes they get dandelion greens, spinach, and brocolli. Oh, and I recently started giving them clovers and more parsley (now that they'll eat it).

For treats they get Cheerios, dried carrot slices, walnuts, peanuts, and sometimes Rice Chex.

And of course they have unlimited timothy hay .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

It's funny the 3 girls LOVE their hay, and well the boys not so much.
They are all really enjoying the extruded Guinea Pig food I'm now buying, the only other brand i coudl find w/out molasses in it had sunflowers, pumpkin seeds and some other thigns mixed in (ya i'm so sure guinea pigs are suposed to eat that stuff..) and it took me forever to sift through it all each time I bought some.
I've been told carrots and potatoes being so starchy can turn into sugars in the body, also not many animal can eat raw potato so I've stayed away from that too (Mind u i don't eat alot of them anyways) are sweet potatos different?. I have given baby carrots a few times, celery they don't care for, but who could blame them it's bouring LOL
Fresh parsley from my garden has gone over well, and of course dandy lion leaves and fresh grass. I elt the boys play outside adn i put the cage topper on patches of clover, they love the flowers and it's so cute to see them eat them.
When it cools down a bit I'm going to have to let them outside again and take some pictures.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
It's funny the 3 girls LOVE their hay, and well the boys not so much.
They are all really enjoying the extruded Guinea Pig food I'm now buying, the only other brand i coudl find w/out molasses in it had sunflowers, pumpkin seeds and some other thigns mixed in (ya i'm so sure guinea pigs are suposed to eat that stuff..) and it took me forever to sift through it all each time I bought some.
I've been told carrots and potatoes being so starchy can turn into sugars in the body, also not many animal can eat raw potato so I've stayed away from that too (Mind u i don't eat alot of them anyways) are sweet potatos different?. I have given baby carrots a few times, celery they don't care for, but who could blame them it's bouring LOL
Fresh parsley from my garden has gone over well, and of course dandy lion leaves and fresh grass. I elt the boys play outside adn i put the cage topper on patches of clover, they love the flowers and it's so cute to see them eat them.
When it cools down a bit I'm going to have to let them outside again and take some pictures.
I'm pretty sure sweet potatoes are different...they've been recommended for degus for years . And mine have been eating them since I first got them. You just have to make sure they don't eat the skin because it's toxic.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

kewl, and you can buy it dried?
If I can find it dried I may try that.
I have organic apple nuggets (dried apples) i give to all my other critters, i will one day give a nugget to the Goo's, i'm just so affraid when it comes to anything sweet for them. They are my first pair so i'm pretty sketchy (overprotective lol) with trying new things.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
kewl, and you can buy it dried?
If I can find it dried I may try that.
I have organic apple nuggets (dried apples) i give to all my other critters, i will one day give a nugget to the Goo's, i'm just so affraid when it comes to anything sweet for them. They are my first pair so i'm pretty sketchy (overprotective lol) with trying new things.
I'm not sure if you can buy it dried. Fresh foods are more nutritous so that's what I tend to feed. The only dried veggies they get are dried carrot slices .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 06:33 PM

Hi. Can I just say that cheerios are really not a good treat for degus? They're 22% sugar!!!! Even given infrequently, this really is too high for a degu.

I would stick to other, sugar-free treats, they will enjoy them just as much and they will be much healthier. Mine love their pumpkin seeds best of all!

ETA: I feed a mix called 'JR degu food' from a German based company that now delivers to the UK, called 'Zooplus'. It was recommended on an excellent German degu forum so I knew it would be ok. It smells wonderful, really 'herby' and the degus love it. I mix in a few guinea pig pellets as well to ensure high vitamin c levels.

Last edited by Hanlou; 09-03-2006 at 06:38 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanlou
Hi. Can I just say that cheerios are really not a good treat for degus? They're 22% sugar!!!! Even given infrequently, this really is too high for a degu.

I would stick to other, sugar-free treats, they will enjoy them just as much and they will be much healthier. Mine love their pumpkin seeds best of all!

ETA: I feed a mix called 'JR degu food' from a German based company that now delivers to the UK, called 'Zooplus'. It was recommended on an excellent German degu forum so I knew it would be ok. It smells wonderful, really 'herby' and the degus love it. I mix in a few guinea pig pellets as well to ensure high vitamin c levels.
22% percent sugar? But they have less then a gram? Then again, we don't get the actual brand of Cheerios...we get a similar cereal from the health food store so maybe it's different. I don't feed them very often anyways...it's really for bribery purposes if I have to get them in a carrier or something .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I feed a mixture of guinea pig excel biscuits and a little guinea pig mix. I occasionally mix a little pre made degu food in such as the one Hanlou mentioned or the vitacraft one but this is only as a treat occasionally as they tend to be made up of grains and alfalfa etc but are ok as a treat occasionally. I also always make sure they have plenty of hay and i give this as part of their feed. I also feed a mixture of fresh veggies and dried and we have a variety of different treats

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:40 PM

I use the vitakraft degu mix, combined with PAH guinea pig nuggets...

they tend to eat the veggies and nuggets but leave the bulk of the vitakraft pellets!

fussy little monsters!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:33 AM

I feed mine Exotic Nutrition degu pellets with Gerty Guinea Pig from Supreme mixed in for some variety. Mine do not like any veggies except for dried sweet potato (the skins are okay, btw; it's regular potato skins that are the problem) and occasionally herbs and dandelions. And hay. Lots of hay.

I've never heard of anyone else using Exotic Nutrition, but I'm very happy with it. It has the best nutritional breakdown of the degu foods I've seen. It has less protein, less fat, and more fiber than Brisky. I have never heard of this JR kind - I wonder if it's available in the US?

I would really like it if Oxbow (or someone) would make a timothy-based degu pellet, but no luck yet.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardigrade
Mine do not like any veggies except for dried sweet potato (the skins are okay, btw; it's regular potato skins that are the problem)
I hate to argue but sweet potato skins really are toxic. Normal potatoes shouldn't be fed at all.

When you buy it dried maybe the skins are removed? I feed it fresh so I'm not sure but I would definately be careful...

~Stephanie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I hate to argue but sweet potato skins really are toxic. Normal potatoes shouldn't be fed at all.

When you buy it dried maybe the skins are removed? I feed it fresh so I'm not sure but I would definately be careful...
I'm in total agreement even Sweet potato skins are deemed toxic for degus so you should never feed them.

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
chinchilla pellets, dandelion greens, degu food, gerty guinea pig, guinea pig, guinea pig excel biscuits, guinea pig food, guinea pig mix, guinea pig pellets, hagen guinea pig pellets, health food store, pig food, pumpkin seeds, romaine lettuce, timothy hay