Wheel Issues - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Issues

I have a freestanding wire mesh wheel for my four girls. When the wheel is up, they will fight as I don't think they have figured out yet that only one degu can run in it at a time. I'm a bit concerned as they will get smacked on the nose when the wheel is in rotation and they have had their paws and tails caught. Has anyone had any luck in preventing this from happening without removing the wheel entirely? They have had the wheel in the cage for six months and this is not new behaviour for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 AM

I also have a freestanding wire mesh wheel. I had lots of problems with it at first (paws getting caught, etc) but I tried standing it up a different way and it worked wonders. There's still the issue of getting smacked with the cross-bar part but that doesn't seem to bother them and they're quite good at hopping over it now. I may have had the wheel standing the wrong way the whole time but I rotated it so that it stands on its smaller edge (whereas before I had it the longest part on the floor). It raises the wheel up a bit and makes it so that the pegs holding the wheel on are from the top.

I don't really know how to explain it. If you've already got the wheel that way then I'm not sure what you can do. Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. We have tried standing it on the small end and the longer end but they still seem to get smacked or caught. They'll even try to stop it with their paws and teeth in the hopes that the running degu will jump out so that they can get on. That's when most of the injuries happen. I hope over time that they will realize that trying to get into the wheel while its in motion is a really bad idea. Has anyone had any experience with the running saucer and degus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Hi - you can buy solid metal wheels that are much safer than mesh ones. I have a solid one and my three love it!! It's a 12" wheel and they run on it like crazy and I know they won't harm their paws or tails on it. Mine's from the Uk, but I know there's various solid metal wheels available in the US. I will try and find the link for you!

The flying saucer wheels look amazing -I don't know of anyone who'd used one for a degu but I do know that chinchilla owners swear by them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Found the link.. http://www.qualitycage.com/exwheels.html

and the flying saucer link....

http://www.chin-chillas.com/exercisewheels.htm

I'd contact the people who make the flying saucer wheels and ask them about degus. They are made in a smaller size for degus but it would be good to know what degu owners think of them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

We orginally purchased a solid metal one but it was too big for the cage so we returned it and bought the smaller mesh one. Thanks for the links!! I have emailed both places asking about the saucers for degus. It's kinda neat that the second place is not very far from where I live.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:48 PM

That's handy then!

Mine actually run in tandem on their wheel! It's from here:

http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/wheel.html no good for you I know but it is big and yet they love it. The width of the wheel gives them room to run side by side, which they do frequently. lol! I like the fact that it attaches to the cage bars and can't move about as well.

You'll have to let us know what the flying saucer people say.... it's a brilliant concept.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My advice is to get another wheel it helps no end. My other degu's manage with one between them but my four boys have two as they squabbled over it when there was just one. Now they have two there is hardly any fights and they love to share and go in tandem together. If you have trouble finding a solid wheel then you can actually make them quite simply if you are DIY minded by using a solid stainless steal dog bowl. There is a website with instructions on it and I have tried it and it works and i've had sucess and it is cheaper than buying one and finding out that they don't like it

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:04 PM

Ahh, thank you for all that advice. I wasn't having a specific problem, but I was thinking of putting in various wheels so they don't fight, and now know the one I bought is perfect for them. Thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

The company from the first link said that they had no feedback from degu owners. The ones from the second link actually starting stocking the saucer because one of their customers had degus and wanted to purchase it. They say that there is a learning curve from a week to six months. (Our girls love new things in their cage, so I'm thinking they'll have it in no time!) This company also stocks some other food items that I'm interested in, so we might go out and see them on the weekend. I would go with another wheel, but we do not have the room in the cage. They also mentioned that the small saucer is the equivelent to regular 18-inch wheel.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM

The flying saucer wheel is supposed to be more 'natural' for animals to run in and it takes up loads less room, so I'd say go for it! I'm sure the degus would soon learn, they're so nosey and intelligent.

I'm almost excited for them, lol!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm actually a bit excited for them too!

Tags
cage bars, wire mesh