Where do you buy your dust bath? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Where do you buy your dust bath?

Just wondering where everyone get's their dust bath?
I want to try and get it in a larger quantity and hopefully cheap.
$8 for a little container here dosn't last between 5 degu's & 17 gerbils.

So where do you get yours?
What's the best deal you've seen on them?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I pay the same amount as you . I get it wherever I happen to be at the time...PetCo or a local petstore. I want to get the vanilla one from PetsMart, though, it smells good! Sadly PetsMart is farther away.

I don't have to buy it that often, though, as I only have three degus. I re-used the dust many times until it gets dirty so it lasts a while .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:46 PM

I buy from PetSmart, so I'm not really any help either. Ditto reusing dust several times, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Ya i have a sifter and sift my dust, but the goo's make such a mess of it and use it as a toilet it get's used up quickly.

What kind of "Bath House" do you use for them?
I'm wondering if I should make a covered one...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I tend to buy mine from my local pet shop and again i reuse mine till if has to be changed. I use ceramic bath houses to contain the dust as the degus tend to get it everywhere If you need a large amount it might be worth you asking at a local pet shop or supplier as they might be able to provide you with a large bag and it might cost you less if you buy in bulk

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
Ya i have a sifter and sift my dust, but the goo's make such a mess of it and use it as a toilet it get's used up quickly.

What kind of "Bath House" do you use for them?
I'm wondering if I should make a covered one...
Weirdly enough, I use a pet food container as a dust bath. The container for the larger size of Brisky's Diet Degu Pellets is the perfect size and shape for one! Almost all of the dust stays inside unless Rosie decides to go on a digging adventure .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM

We need a pretty big container since we have a chin who loves to make a mess, so we have a store-bought chinchilla bath house. It is all enclosed except for a "doorway" in the front.

eta: I would check www.drsfostersmith.com

I order a lot of dog stuff from them and they seem to have pretty good prices. Not sure if they are cheaper on dust or not.

eta: I just found this. http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/p...FSheUAoda3pZJw

Last edited by corgimom; 09-19-2006 at 12:12 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 PM

I but the jug from Petsmart and have Hailey take about 2 or 3 baths in each set of dust. Sometimes you can tell when it needs to go and sometimes she is in and out so fast that I am not throwing it away! I have never heard of the vanilla one though. I am going to need to go check it out. With Hailey, I go through the 8.00 container every month. Maybe a little more. A month and a half. I also do not let her take a bath everyday. It is not good for them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS
I but the jug from Petsmart and have Hailey take about 2 or 3 baths in each set of dust. Sometimes you can tell when it needs to go and sometimes she is in and out so fast that I am not throwing it away! I have never heard of the vanilla one though. I am going to need to go check it out. With Hailey, I go through the 8.00 container every month. Maybe a little more. A month and a half. I also do not let her take a bath everyday. It is not good for them.
Its ok for degus to bathe every day and have access to the sandbath 24/7 if the owner should wish as they don't have quite as delicate coats as chins

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

I use the Living World Chinchilla Dust. It's good for about two months if we give our four girls a bath once a week. We use a large Mason jar and they just go in and roll around. Sometimes two of them will go in and the rest will roll outside the jar, it's pretty cute to watch.

Someone should make Sychronized Dust Bathing an Olympic sport.

Tags
dust bath, local pet shop, pet food, pet shop