Wire Mesh Size? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Wire Mesh Size?

I am a new owner of 4 little boy degus. They are such cute little critters that I had to adopt all 4 at the local humane society instead of just the 2 I thought I'd be bringing home.
This of course makes for a tight fit in the cage I bought to bring them home in. I have been looking online and really like the features of these cages Sugar Glider Cages from Quality Cage Co. and this one too Sugar Glider Cages from Quality Cage Co.
My biggest concern is the size of the wire mesh. Is the 1" x 1" too big for degus? Anyone out there have any experience with these cages? Any advice is appreciated! I did research the little guys before adopting, but it seems I have new questions all the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah 1 x 1 is too big. when i for got my girls they fit through chicken wire, i couldn't believe it!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome to PT and congrats on the new degus!

If a sugar glider couldn't escape from the cage then degus shouldn't be able to but I'm not completely sure.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Well, the sugar glider cage is 1/2" x 1" wire, but a tad bit smaller cage. The cage that's 1" x 1" is technically a chinchilla cage and is bigger. The chinchilla cage can be made with the smaller mesh but it costs more. I was hoping to be able to get the bigger cage, but safety is more important than a few extra inches in the long run. Either cage will get plenty of goodies added to it and we take them out daily to play, so they will be happy!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM

I bought my cage a t a feed store so I'm not sure where to get one big enough for your four goos... But congrats on the goos they are awsome little critters
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:01 PM

i think my mesh is about 1 x 1!

congrats on the degus!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've posted elsewhere about this but i did a quick measure and i reckon at 1"x1" a degu could possibly get its head through if he really wanted too, i know it sounds small but degus are cunning little creatures

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! My hubby has now decided to make a cage this weekend. Of course we still needed to know mesh size to buy, so the information is helpful. We will go with the 1/2" to be safe. Those 4 boys would probably get their heads out then get stuck, they can be such little trouble makers!
Amethystbelle thanks for posting your answer on both forums. I put the question out lots of places, the more input the better, ya know?
Thanks for all the warm welcomes here too!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Just thought I'd update and post a picture of the almost finished product.

The bottom is a sliding pan. I don't know if you can tell, but the bottom shelf is full except for the ramp down into the bedding in the pan. That ramp is made to pull up and block that shelf. This is so I can pull out the pan to clean without taking the boys out of the cage.
The top shelf has food, water and boxes. They can climb up through the white hole in the middle or out of the tube on the side. During the day we will put the wheels on the bottom shelf. The two big shelves are covered in plexi for easy clean up. We still need to add pee/poop guards. Maybe then I will feel like we are finished.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Will It Ever Change?

that is SO sweet!!! great job!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nice cage!!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
chicken wire, humane society, local humane society, sugar glider, wire mesh