Wood for my Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Wood for my Degus

I just recently found out that Apple wood is good for Degus to chew on/eat so I asked my friend to bring me some sticks from her tree. I read once to soak it in hot water to get rid of any bugs and let it dry for a few days before giving it to them. I have it soaking in the hot water now, but my question is about the bark. The bark has green moss or mold on it and I was wondering if I should take it off before giving it to the Degus? A few of the other sticks have white parts on them also. Is it safe to leave it on there? I don't really want to take the bark off because thats the part my Degus like best. I wasn't sure if it would hurt them or if they eat it in the wild? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM

I would take the bark off personally, just to be on the safe side..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 PM

Hi. A tip I've heard is also to stick the branches in the oven if possible for a bit - the heat will kill any nasties on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would take it off to be on the safe side . Like Hanlou said, It's also a good idea to put them in the oven.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 11:35 PM

The Bark is what msot of teh buggies liek to live/hide in, I woudl probably remove it also.
I know when we've had moths in our gerbil feed, we would put it in the freezer for 48 hours (min.) to kill the bugs.

I'm still not sure if the heat of the over or the cold of the freezer is better for the removal of bugs though.

Degutopia.co.uk has a great list of Good Woods and Bad Woods. I found that site very helpful so far in my Degu Research.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 AM

Yep - the degutopia wood list is very enlightening, and Chloe will happliy answer any specific questions as well.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with everyone else about the bark! And degutopia is a fantastic site and Chloe is a wonder and very helpful and friendly if you ever need specific advice

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:18 AM

Intresting idea putting it in the oven....I would have never thought of that.....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!! And good idea to put the wood in the oven!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Lol - thanks! I think that the advice originated from Chloe of degutopia. I can't remember. I thought it was a good piece of advide anyway, so I 'logged it away' in my head for a future date.

Having been ranted at in another section of the forum today, it's nice to know my comments are sometimes helpful. Sorry - I'm feeling a bit rattled by what's been said to me.

Hope your degus enjoy their wood-gnawing kandy!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Han - I'm sure they will! And don't bother yourself about what other people say much, its only a personal opinion and everyone makes mistakes You've only given me good advice, so I still think of you as a good person!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 06:07 PM

My degu chews on his log cabin or wooden carrots.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Sorry am only just replying (have been away) but thanks kandy.

I guess I'll stick around then.... It's nice to know I can be of help - even if it's only a little thing. Hope your 'babies' are all doing well!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

They're doing great thanks! And thanks to everyone else for the input!