Worried about Gyzmo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Worried about Gyzmo

Hello, I am rather knew to Degus and all...but around 4 weeks ago I got 2 degus reading that their social animals and all but just recently one of my babies died, Squeaker. We think we bought him sick, or inbred because he didn't look right but the day before he died it was at night his face was swollen so I stayed up all night with him, or most of the night needing rest for school. When i went to school and came home he looked better so I let him and Gyzmo out but he soon died. Before that Gyzmo enjoyed me and greeted me but now he runs from me, and that doesnt worry me because his brother disappeared but what does worry me is Gyzmo is starting to get white teeth, and I know im paranoid and all but that really worries me and i check like 5 times a day. Please tell me hes okay, his bottom teeth are pure white and his top teeth are LIGHT yellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The running away sounds typical of a lone degu and I would try to get him a new buddy asap (since it gets harder to introduce males as they get older).

The teeth thing is a little more worrying although I wouldn't panic unless all of the teeth are pure white. Yellow is OK. What are you feeding as the main diet and what do you give as treats?

I'm very sorry for your loss, by the way . Were these pet store degus? Unfortunately some of them are just too neglected and poorly bred to recover, even with great care.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Were planning on getting another one soon as soon as we get a bigger cage because Gyzmo would be to terriortorial at the moment in the cage but i spend lots of time with him in the mean time but we feed him Chinchilla Mixture and some greens with lots of timothy hay and i feed him carrots for treats and soon to be looking for some more varieties. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

OH! and yes Squeaker was a store bought, yes sadly but true some stores just dont have the proper care:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What brand of chinchilla food is it?

No problem and good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Newborn Pup

Degu food

I feed Kaytee Forti-diet from Walmart. Has no molasses or sugar. I Make my own ingredients to mix with it; split green peas, broccoli, red bell peppers, carrots, parsley, thyme,romain lettuce,spinach,green beans,spweet potatoes, lentils, and brown rice. Lentels and rice needs to boil about 20 min, then rinsed in cold water. Chop rest of vegs and put everything in defydrator, includind rice and lintels. After completely dried, some only turn kind of leathery, I add rolled oats, beet seeds, caraway seeds, and you can even add grass seeds. I use 11/2 cups to 2 cups per 5lb bag of GP feed and they love it. Don't add any more than that or they will just eat the additives. This will last a long time with the pellets. Good luck.

Tags
sick degu?