worried about my tepal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

worried about my tepal

so my goo girl has been alone now for 5 months, and i can't help but feel guilty for keeping her solo. i just can't get another goo, and it breaks my heart to see her always alone. should i rehome her to someone with more goos? or would that be dangerous for her since intros are hard with goos? i'm so so troubled about this, everday i look at her and feel guilt that i can't give her better. all the attention i give doesn't compare to when her sis was alive. i talk to her but she's not into me petting or scratching her, but when out she likes to climb all through my clothes and on me. but again, i can't give her what i should, i maybe give her social tiem with me, every second day or so. an this past week has been so busy that i'v eonly been able to talk to her sporatically throughout the day. i just feel that i'm doing her wrong and i need to fix it. she's so adorable and such a sweetie, but like with my biting spinies, if there's better for her out there, i can suck up my pain and do what's right. i just don't know what's "right" right now

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

so since noooo one has any opinions, i just went and found someone whom is accepting any degus or chins needing homes. i'm talkign with the girl through email right now. hopefully something transpires and my girl can meet her three goos. if it doesn't work out i'll just keep on truckign along, me and her, her and i. i don't want to get rid of her, but i know i have to give her a better home. im unable to be a good single goo mom like sasami, i don't have the cage on the floor, no room to let her out in. to let her run in the bathroom i have to catch her in her cage first. or she'll just sit there all day and listen to me talk lol. she's a goober for sure, she deserves the best

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Why is it that you can't get another degu? Vet bills?

Honestly, it's really hard to say what would be "best" . In the end it really depends on what you think since you know your goo best of all. But if your degu is bonded to you and seems happy she might be alright.

Sorry I'm not much of a help.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

yay a reply! lol thanks, yes she loves me, but i wouldn't say bonded. she won't come out on her own, she'll just sit and look at me like "what...you want me to climb on THOSE hands?" and she hasn't warbled once in 6 months, i know she misses the grooming and looving she got from her sis. we'll see how this lady's reply turns out. i'm not in the throws of wanting to rehome her, i just feel she needs goos more than me. i can't afford to buy a bigger cage to house more than her, she lives in a homemade cage and that's all i can give her. i'd love to keep her, im used to her and her quirks and moodiness. but i feel her new moodiness, her being easily spooked, is all because she's alone. i've never seen animals happier than goos together, i just can't deprive her of that

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How big is the cage? I think I've seen pictures before and it seemed large enough for two degus...but then again, I haven't seen it in person.

Good luck with whatever you decide .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Unhappy

I wasn't able to log on yesterday to read your post, but I'm not sure if I would have been able to reply either.
You have a very difficult decision to make and I certainly wouldn't want to be in you position!
The closest I ever came to your problem was when I had to decide what to do with Willy, after finding out he was male, and we had 2 pregnant sisters!
I did re-home Willy. He was my favorite. I know we shouldn't have favorites, but he was so laid back and calm. When the girls would fight over food, he wanted me to pick him up to get away from them until they were done!
I see his new family sometimes at the grocery store, and they always tell me how much they love him and how well he gets along with his new cage-mate,Adam. They got along together right away. Kind of like it was meant to be.
She only got Willy on the condition that if it didn't work, I would get him back immediately.
I don't envy your decidion at all! Probably one of the worst. I do wish you luck and hope that everything turns out for the best

Laurie
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks guys. the cage tepal is in now isn't THE BIG CAGE that she used to have, that cage is big enough for tons of degus lol. i had to take it apart because of the wood soaking up pee. my fault for poor design. that aside, i can't afford to buy a new cage, and i can't afford the space (we want to move into our own place soon) *sigh* all these things gah. i like the idea of insisting that i get tepal back if the lady's good dislike her. i wuv the widdle furball lol.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 PM
RAT ADDICT

This must be a super hard desiscion.I don't have any advice,but maybe say that if it doesn't work out then Tepal has to go back to you!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 PM

You can resolve this situation.
Degu introductions aren't that hard. No more hard than any other animal.
Can you afford to keep another degu?
If so, I have a wealth of guides on introductions to share with you.
I know this is a hard decision to make but you have to do what's best for your degu in the end.
It might be worth trying to get your hands on a baby that has been socialized since birth. Degus aren't stupid animals, and a well socialized degu will encourage a shy one to warm to humans a bit more.
I would try to reserve 10-20 minutes of your time every day to handling your little one. Put on a nice thick jumper and leave your arm in the cage door. When she's confident enough, she should hop on it. Just let her sit there and talk to her. That's how I got my girls to come round. A sunny seed every other day or so to reward her efforts will teach her to trust you as well.
Anyway, here are the guides as promised, let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Degu guide - see the title "Introducing a degu to other animals"
Introducing Chinchillas, Degus and Guinea Pigs.
Degu World-Degu Family Update

TIPS ON TAMING DEGUS:
The Delightful Degu- Hand-Friendly Tips
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks muchly!! i will keep this info bookmarked. the lady i was talking to fell through, i think she just wants cheap pets. i told her 30-40$ for my girl and cage and all. and she was like "that's too steep for me" so whatever lol. i got my goo out last night. she's shy but not timid or wild. she'll sit half on my hand for 5 minutes while i talk to her, she just never comes allllll the way out lol. i have her dust bath in a big glass fishbowl, so i held it up to the door and she hopped right in, so i took my goo-in-a-bowl to the bathroom and we hung out for almost half an hour, maybe 15 minutes, i didn't want to overwhelm her. she bathed a good dozen times and crawled all over me. she even held still for a few strokes of my finger, but then she was off. last night i also moved her to a quieter part of our place. rather than the middle of the livingroom beside the computer, i moved her.....out of my couch sight mind you......to between the bookshelves and kitchen. so when im at the computer i can see her, but the couches have our backs to her. i think maybe a bit more peace might help her? i've been so worried about her being depressed becuase she seems so moody, easily spooked and chirps from it. so hopefully this calmer spot will help her out a bit. i do not, not at all, have the financial resources to get another degu. i will have to get a bigger cage. plain and simple. as i stated before, i cannot do this. my decision making process is mulling over keeping her with me, solo. OR finding her a new home that all ready has goos she can eventually meet. period.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm really glad that you got to interact together.
Hanging out in the bath is definitely a great way to get to know each other better. Degus aren't exactly lap pets anyway, so don't read into things too much.

It's really up to you what you do, you evidently care about your little girl. You know her better than we do. Keep us posted and if there's anyway that we can help you, you know we will
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

i really appreciate the support and kind words. sometimes i feel hopeless for her being lonely, but i'm so stubborn that im relentless lol. i've never had a problem with hanging out with her, and i definitley know they're not lap pets lol she NEVER sits still. i guess i just feel really guilty that i can't do more for her. i WISH i was working so could buy her a bigger cage and a play mate, but i just can't. being on medical disability sucks, but it's all i have. i know she's a healthy girl, but i just want her to be at her happiest as well. maybe im just being too hard on myself about this. maybe i can be her buddy and we can keep trucking on together. bah sometimes i get myself confused lol. all i know i love her, lots, her and her sis (rip) have helped me through some very emotionally hard times, when nothing else cheered me up i'd go with with them and they'd make me laugh and be happy. she does, even last night, give me little grooming spurts which is sooo cute. *sigh* okay then, so i guess now that i've rambled i've gained a little confidence about what i'll be doing. i shall keep my eye out for better homes, but for now i am the better home *sigh*

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 03:15 PM

aw that's so sweet. Well, as I said, we're all here for you to support you whatever you do. I know it's hard not having much money, I'm in a similar situation right now, family breakdown, had to move out last minute, still studying etc, and it's really difficult. But we do the best that we can by our buddies!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe you could try to mimic her grooming that her sister used to do... i do that with one of my rats she loves it... i make clicking noises and pick at her neck and ears and sholders and brush her she likes it alot... she has friends that do the same though... but i think i could have her on her own and she would be happy... my other ones i havent bonded so much with but mimicing grooming really helped bond us

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Hello!

I know this thread is old, and you may have another Goo by now, or may have rehomed Tepal. But I just wanted to share my experience in this area with you!

I'm in the same situation. One of my girls died in October, so since then, I've only had my one little Goo. I was super worried about her dying of loneliness, or some such thing - you always hear that you should never keep single Goos. (I still hate ever having to leave her with a sitter, I try to take her with me whenever I have to go somewhere.)

But we're doing really, really good. I schedule at least 30 minutes to spend with her out of her cage everyday. We've gotten soooo much closer. Now we groom each other (oh, that's the BEST feeling!! Having my face or arm groomed, it's wonderful!), we talk, and she has taken to sitting on my shoulder.

Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't give up. Tepal knows you well, and loves you, and that love will only grow and deepen as you have to depend on each other.

I sure hope you're feeling better now, I know what a struggle it is, I fought with it too. Finally, my heart is ready to start thinking about bringing home another Degu, but I'm not in any kind of rush. I sure hope things are going well for you. I can tell you love your Tepal very much, and I know she can feel that too!

Tags
dust bath, guinea pig