Wrong things to feed degus? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wrong things to feed degus?

I have read that some things, such as potato skins can be poisionous to degus. Is there a list we can make as a sticky that are bad foods not to be given to them? I'd love to give them slices of apples but I don't know if it's safe for them to eat.

Look Into My Voice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bump...nothin' huh?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I know nothing about degus and I didn't even know what they were until I joined this forum LOL. If you do a search on the net I'm sure you will find lots of info about their diet. I typed in "degus" and found many sites. I didn't find an actual list but I'm sure there is one out there. Here is some degu diet info:

"Feed your Degus a 50-50 mixture of chinchilla pellets and guinea pig pellets, sweet potatoes, carrots, dandelion greens, timothy hay and always a large supply of fresh green alfalfa. Give your Degus sometimes (once in three-four days) a few sunflower seeds or a half peanut, a few kernels of dried corn and sometimes some green beans.The 50-50 mixture of chinchilla pellets and guinea pig pellets are for the day-to-day nutrients a Degu needs. Degus need the yellow vegetables (sweet potatoes and carrots) for the health of their teeth, for vitamin C, and to provide a fresh component to their diet. The timothy hay and the fresh alfalfa grass is given because Degus need high protein and some special nutrients. Degus like the sunflower seeds or the half peanut as a treat, and there are some ingredients in the seeds and peanut that are good for Degus.

DO NOT feed your Degu any sugar-holding food, like fruit or raisins. Degus can't metabolize sugar. Also don't feed your Degus the skin or the green parts of pototoes because they are *very* toxic for Degus (and for humans). Be sure not to give to much carbohydrate-holding food (i.e. starchy foods like corn), because Degus can't handle this kind of food. In the area where Degus live in the wild aren't much carbohydrate food sources, so Degus aren't used to carbohydrates. If you are the sort of person who cannot resist giving titbits to your pets, then Degus are not for you."

I got the info from here: http://www.animalsexotique.com/degus.html
Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I looked at that site when I first got my girls but completely missed the peanut and good food stuff....I only saw the bad section - thanks!.....One of my girls though doesn't like to eat fresh veggies....what does anyone think I can supplement instead?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Playful Pup

Mine like normal grass from outside and branches from willow, apple tree incl. leaves.
Just keep offering them veggies and they´ll get used to them. Mine also like lettuce (reddish color)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I feed mine naturally dried carrots and sweet potatoes as well as fresh ones. Degus LOVE sweet potatoes in whatever form they are in. Just don't feed too much and make sure all skin is off and they are washed. Also, make sure you have plenty of timothy hay available. Alfalfa is good for them to chew because it usually has more stems. Pet grass is good too. Or just grass from the yard is okay. Just make sure there are no pesticides on it. If you give apple and willow from the yard, make sure it is bug free. I think there is a process you can do to treat wood involving heating it, but I'm not sure. Don't feed any sugar bearing foods. Peanuts and sunflower seeds should only be given as a every once in a blue moon treat because they are high in fat. Mine eat Brisky Degu pellets and they love them.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I offer them Timothy Hay constantly as I understand it helps with their munching urges! One of my degus will not really eat fresh veggies, but she will if they are dry, i.e. carrots....they are so silly. Hmmm, sweet potatoes huh.....If I can find a small one somewhere I would try. I recently bought a bag of chin pellets that contain pieces of raisins and bananas in it. Do I just remove those pieces and feed the pellets with the guinea pig pellets? I give them seeds about once a month.

Look Into My Voice
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Newborn Pup

My girls LOVE dandelions from the yard....when they are "in season" (pesticide and bug free). They also like dried carrots. They weren't too thrilled with sweet potato or fresh carrots though. They go nuts for hay cubes (timothy alfalfa mix). They go through a lot of those. I also give them 1/2 tblspn of my chinchillas supplement once or twice a week too. It's got barley, oats, flax seed, crushed whole wheat (not a lot), oat groats, a little Animax and some other stuff in it. They love that.

I've given them sunflower seeds and peanuts, but due to the fat content I only give those on special occasions.

I don't really know of any things NOT to feed off the top of my head other than the obvious junk food that us humans like so much.

- Alison -
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How are apples? And having the skins on too?? Green/red peppers?

Look Into My Voice
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Newborn Pup

Not sure about peppers.....apples are fine though. Mine eat the skins and all. I only give them occasionally though...about 1/16th of an apple.

- Alison -
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:59 AM
cjb
Newborn Pup

Hi, I'm new to this forum. We've had our degus (4 boys) since April and they seem to be getting fussier and fussier about what they like to eat. They used to like sweet potato but now they often leave it. Also, they loved broccoli when they were babies but they've gone off that too. They love fresh grass and sometimes dandelions but often they will take a nibble and then drop them! I have also bought chinchilla food which contains raisins. I go through it very carefully and pick them out but if one gets left behind they find it immediately (they love these but I know they shouldn't have them). They only way I have found to give them treats is to remove all the favourite bits from their guinea pig mixture (in the UK we have Gertie Guinea Pig, which contains square brown biscuits and banana shaped yellow biscuits - they love these). I make sure they all get shared out equally and then it avoids aggression in the food bowl! One degu (Sid) is very bossy and sometimes sits in the bowl picking out all his favourite bits, whilst squawking and kicking the others! This way I know they've all had a fair share. I have tried lots of other fresh vegetables but they just don't like them! They love Alfalfa hay but this doesn't seem easy to buy in pet shops. One of them also loves to dig in the food bowl and most of it ends up outside the cage. They are very entertaining though.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Re Degu Food!

Another Good Thing To Feed Them Is Guinea Pig Pellets, You Can Get Them From Pets At Home.. It Is There Own Make, My Degus Quite Like Them.. They Are Also Very Fussy!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 12:18 PM
cjb
Newborn Pup

Can anyone tell me what Timothy Hay is? Is it available in the UK? Thanks.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb
I GIVE MINE EXCEL HAY, YOU CAN GET IT FROM PETS AT HOME...

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Re Timothy Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb
HI CORINNE, I WENT TO 'PETS AY HOME' TODAY AND THEY HAD TIMOTHY HAY IN THERE..
HOPE THIS HELPS..

Tags
alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, dandelion greens, degu food, dried corn, food bowl, guinea pig, guinea pig excel biscuits, guinea pig food, guinea pig mix, guinea pig pellets, hay cubes, pet shop, pet shops, pig food, sunflower seeds, timothy hay