yellow discharg - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

yellow discharg

my degu has yellow discharge coming from under her hood is this normal. its really nasty and sticky and her furr is matted looking around her rear. what is this. is she sick
is she in heat
does she have a yeast infection
help help help
I wann now if anyone knows what this stuff is all about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

i gave her a bath and washed all the matted fur and some antibiotics just in case but still it gross
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i guess it may mean vet trip...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well..i couldnt tell you a thing about degus. i never even knew what they were until i joined PawTalk.

I dont know if its normal or not. Maybe call the vet and ask to see what they tell you. Im sure someone will be around here soon to give you some input. But make a quick call and they may suggest a checkup to be safe.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

there are no vets in my area that now much about them and just treat them like rats as far as vet care
she seems tired alot but i just noticed her being tired she might just be tired after her bath
she hates it ya know
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That is definately not normal. I think going to a vet would be a good idea. Even if you can't find one that knows about degus I'm sure there are some that have experience with rodents.

Also, I assume you mean a dust bath, right? I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to give degus baths with water...but I could be wrong .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

she was way nasty and yes
i gave her a bath with water
i have done this to one of my other goos and it didn't hurt her at all
I make sure they were are hand towel dried and sit them in the sun for five minuts
she is like night and day
the discharge is gone after one dose of antibiotics
My girlfriend's mother in law is a vet and said that everything i have done is what she would have recomended and to give her the antiobiotics for three more days 2x dayly
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

oops this thing jammed up on my end and i sent this twice
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You should be careful administering antibiotics without seeing a vet first as certain antibiotics are not suitable for degus and it might not be an infection it could be something deeper routed which might need veterinary attention. I really think it might be worthwhile getting her checked over, its ok a vet telling you that what you did was correct but how can they know its correct if they haven't examined her thoroughly.

Which female is it? Is it the newest one you got? Or the one who had babies?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

its the one who had babies
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Could she be pregnant again by any chance? As it does kind of sound like the plug (what keeps out all the nasty bacteria and stuff whilst a female is pregnant) has come away... I'm not saying that what it is but it does sound simular but on the other hand it could be some kind of infection its really hard to say. Is she ok in herself? Any other symptoms?

Kirsty

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

what is this plug thing
your talking about
explain cause
is the plug happen when mating or when giving birth
cause if its giving birth thats not possible as she isl lean and not fat at all
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The plug is what protects the womb after conception and it comes way before they give birth, normally happens a day or so before. Degus don't have to be fat to be pregnant, often they don't tend to show at all. I'm not saying she is pregnant but it was just a suggestion as you noticed a discharge and shes matted up at the back end and you also mentioned she is tired. I really think you need to get her checked out by a vet to make sure its nothing serious, a female shouldn't normally have a discharge and if she has it indicates something is wrong. Is she ok in herself? Eating, drinking, going to the toilet ok etc..... ?

Kirsty

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

shes doing fine eating drinking poo all that ..... I don't have any money at all for a while so im gonna have to just do what i can till i can afford it....If she gets sicker then i will do what i gotta do but so far she is not doing anything out of the ordinary. she just had that discharge... I looked at her today and there is still a little but not like before i bathed her....... I have a good feeling she is ok i just wanted to know if anyone new what it was.... Like if they had seen degus do this before.....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

im postitive shes not pregnant cause i have held her twice today and yesterday and i feel nothing in the tummy area no bulg no movement nothing.......

Tags
doing fine, dust bath, vet care