Yes or NO? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes or NO?

Hi all,

I've been offered three young female degus from an friend who lives nearby and recently took them on. Due to family pressures, she feels she's not giving them the full attention they deserve and has offered them to me.

My heart says "yes, yes, yes, yes, yes" (of course)

My head says no because of Raisin. I have no intention of mixing them even though i'd love nothing more than baby degus. Rais hasn't had the snip and i think he's too old to go through the operation. With that in mind it would be likely that i'd keep them in seperate cages next to each other. Is this a really bad idea having one male and three females? Or would it be unfair to raisin having them in such close proximity? Or would it be nice for him to chatter to them?

I'm torn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think it would be a great idea as they would be company for Raisen and as he is on his own it should prove no problem as the only time problems arise are when there are more than one male and there are females around. They would communicate with one another through the bars, all my guys do and they are all boys

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:29 PM

I too think it would be a good idea.
Maybe you can do a test try for a week and see how things go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

oh dear :-)

i think my boyfriend would rather everyone said NO!!

more yesses please!!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Does a yes from my degus x 7 count

Kirsty

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

well in my eyes thats 9 yesses in total then!

sorry boyfriend :-)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I say yes too . Because degus rock .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Well then me and my 5 say yes, the more the marrier! hehehehe
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM

i say go for it!!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

well.... my boyfriend said furry and feathered yesses don't count, but if i get 50 human yesses he might let me!!!

on a serious note, i think he's worried about the cost of them as we end up spending lots on vets bills. he thinks i get far too attached to them and is worried about taking on more. its always him that ends up making the vets trips bacause i can't drive and i think that puts him off getting any more :-(

so thats 4 human yesses and 12 non human!!!!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

In the 9 years i have had degus i have only been to the vets twice so i think you have just had bad luck. With any animal there are no guarantees of good health and its just the luck of the draw and you could get these girls and not spend a penny at the vets on them and if they would make you and Raisen happy then he should see it as an investment

My boyfriend says a yes to so count that as 5 as he thinks degus are great

Kirsty

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

yippee... only 45 to go!

i think we have had very bad luck with them... two tumours and two very bad tooth problems... we've been through 4 operations in three years.

if i did take these girls on, my only hope is that we dont have as many problems. and theyre still young so the odds are better.

and raisin is driving him mad at the mo... he's in his wheel all evening and is sooo loud, we can't hear the tv at the other end of the room! either that or he's snuggling up my jumper with me.... he fell asleep up there the other day, it was so cute!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
yippee... only 45 to go!

i think we have had very bad luck with them... two tumours and two very bad tooth problems... we've been through 4 operations in three years.

if i did take these girls on, my only hope is that we dont have as many problems. and theyre still young so the odds are better.

and raisin is driving him mad at the mo... he's in his wheel all evening and is sooo loud, we can't hear the tv at the other end of the room! either that or he's snuggling up my jumper with me.... he fell asleep up there the other day, it was so cute!
I vote yes and so do my four girls!!!
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

6 human votes and 16 furry ones!

thank you!!!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Count me in for another three votes (one human, two degus)!

Tags
baby degus, seperate cages