Are your degus social? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Talking Are your degus social?

I was just wondering how many people here have social degus. Peanut is by far the BEST degu I've owned. He is so super social. I swear, I really don't know what I will do without him when he is gone. I can sit and watch him for hours and just talking to him comforts me. He absolutely loves me. He runs to the cage to greet me, talks to me and loves to hang out with me. He will sit on my shoulder and hang out with me when I do chores. He loves to climb on top of my beanie and sit on my head LOL. He is just so cool! People are amazed at how social he is. I guess I just spend a lot of time with him so he definitely knows I'm his mom. He's gone blind recently due to diabetes (nope, I've NEVER fed him sugar...?) but can still see very good. He loves his wheel and would probably die without it LOL.

So who else here has social degus? Do they let you pick them up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 AM

Mine are reasonably sociable, but generally only with me. the two i've had for 18 months (rum and raisin) don't like being handled (they were poorly handled and rescued by the rspca) but they love snuggling up my jumper and sit on my shoulders occaisionally. the other two i've only had for 4 months (ben and jerry) and aren't 100% used to me yet. they don't mind being picked up at all, but would much rather explore than play with me!!

is peanut an only degu or does he have friends? if he's single, it is probably helping his relationship with you!

I'd love to have that kind of reletionship with mine, and would love to have more time to spend with them doing this!!

You are very lucky!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've had that kind of relationship with all my degus bar one, Nipper and he was evil if you tried to pick him up or do anything with him full stop he used to give you a nasty nip hence the name but he did have his good moments too and could be affectionate if he wanted but you just had to be wary of him. His brother was totally different though, Jerry was the most friendliest laid back and affectionate degu going and used to love climbing out into my hands and sitting on my shoulder and sleeping in my sleeve whilst i walked around, it was a very sad day when he died i cried for weeks as he was the best The ones i have now both run up to the bars when i enter the room and stop what they are doing and compete with each other for attention and shout out to me if they think i've given the other too much time and they even compete with the hamster who lives next to them , if i talk to him its like "how dare you when we are here!" They also like to come out and run around me but they aren't keen on sitting still they prefer to explore then be cuddled which is fine by me as i like them to do whats natural to them and if they want a cuddle i'm here for that too. I think every degu is different in its own little ways and they make the best pets

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 12:59 PM

Red face

I would say that most of mine are social.. Jeri loves to be picked up and cuddled, she sometimes sits on my shoulder for ages too! Jimmy my only male loves cuddles and also likes sitting on peoples shoulders.. The others dont mind either, and all come running to greet you when you go near their cage, and of course take it in turns to flatter their eyelashes so they get a treat or 2! I can honestly say that the little critters are one of the most entertaining pets I know of!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They're both pretty social. Hikaru is very friendly and outgoing, he doesn't like being picked up but he tolerates it. He loves being scratched behind the ear, playing tug-o-war, and riding on my shoulder. Ichigo is much more shy but she can be affectionate sometimes. Neither of them are aggressive. I've only had them since November so I expect that in time they'll both become more tame.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 02-02-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Aww, how neat! I think us pet people really know what we are doing with these guys. It's good to hear that most degus are social. They make the best pets!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:53 PM

They're still adjusting to their new home. We have trouble getting them to come out, but once they are out, they are fine. Keep in mind, we have only had them for 4 days, though.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

All of mine are very social.I can go in the room anytime and open the cage door they will climb into my hand and let me scratch them and love them.They are also very good with all my grandchildren ages 2 4,5,6.They will sit on their shoulder and climb all over them.I think it is so cute when they do that.I have only had one to bite me.I was clipping his nails and cut alittle to close and he bit me.He was fine after that.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 PM

I've had mine for 3 weeks. I'm not 100% sure what their story is, but they were bought from a pet store for a little boy and eventually his mom decided he wasn't taking care of them right. They are very curious and wanted to sniff me right from the get-go, but they don't really want to be held. I spend time with them a couple times a day putting my hand in their cage and giving them treats (oats and quinoa). They eat from my hand and will crawl up on my hands and shirt, but only if I hold very still. I think this is a promising start. Actually, if they never want to be handled I could be alright with that; they're so fun to watch that I love to have them around just as well. And if I put my face up to them they give degu kisses!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:27 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardigrade
I've had mine for 3 weeks. I'm not 100% sure what their story is, but they were bought from a pet store for a little boy and eventually his mom decided he wasn't taking care of them right. They are very curious and wanted to sniff me right from the get-go, but they don't really want to be held. I spend time with them a couple times a day putting my hand in their cage and giving them treats (oats and quinoa). They eat from my hand and will crawl up on my hands and shirt, but only if I hold very still. I think this is a promising start. Actually, if they never want to be handled I could be alright with that; they're so fun to watch that I love to have them around just as well. And if I put my face up to them they give degu kisses!
Good luck with your degus! You will find them to be great pets..

Tags
pet store