Zoey - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Zoey

I think my Zoey is preggers she is huge and has gotton that way in the last week and a half or so I will attach pics I dont know if you can tell or not. She cant even do a complte flip in the dust bath. I got her in november(2nd) and she came that way because she hasnt been with boys since she has been with me. And was told she was kept with her sisters and no males. Any way so Im sure that it means it will be sooner than later any signs to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its hard to tell from the pictures personally she looks just like your average robust degu as they tend to be quite rounded but she could by all means be pregnant. And also there is no guarentee that she hasn't been kept with males if she was from a petstore and you don't fully know her background. Do you know how old she is?

There are quite a few threads on here already on pregnancy and birth so i won't go into detail too much as i'm sure you have already seen them. Degu's tend to only show in the last few weeks and their pregnancy is quite long at around 90 days. If you suspect she might be pregnant then i wouldn't handle her from now on till you can be sure as handling them can harm the babies. I would also keep an eye on her and look for other signs such as nest building and her slowing down as she gets bigger. If your unsure then i would air on the side of caution and treat her as if she is pregnant till you are sure either way. If she is to have babies keep her in a nice quiet room and avoid handling the young for the first few weeks to avoid stressing them out and causing brain deformities later on as the first 3 weeks of a degu's life are crucial as to how it develops later on. There is a 50/50 chance either way but to be safe i'd keep a close eye on her for the next few weeks if after around 6 weeks nothing has happened then its more than likely its been a false alarm and you have nothing to worry about. Goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 01-17-2006 at 06:19 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Great advice from Kirsty.. How is Zoey today, keep us informed?.. If you need any help or questions answered, please ask.. One of mine gave birth to 4 babies so I have a bit of experience...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ladies

I put a wheel in today and she walked slowly round and round and her sides were real close to the wheel connections shes a bit wobbly and not as fast as she used to be am concerned about where she prefers her nest though i have a hammock in the top level and she has been putting nesting matierials in that should i move the hammock to the lower level and also any other bedding supplies i should give her? she has the eco paper and tissue should i add something. thanks guys And I have 6 other girls and it is different than the others and firmer Lots
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd definately move the hammock to be on the safe side and i'd also secure the lower bars of the cage (if she is in one) incase she is pregnant as i'm sure you don't want any of the babies escaping. As for nesting materials a little hay wouldn't hurt as it replicates what they would use in the wild. Keep an eye on her is my advice and see what happens, if something is going to happen i think it will happen sooner rather than later within the next week or so. Goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: hammock

well I moved it to the bottom level and moved food and water to second so easy access for her and her young and it is official I observed her today and they were moving in her belly and sides. So its close I will keep all posted.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

At least you know for sure now whether she is expecting or not. I think that she must be pretty close to delivery now and you can expect babies in the next week or so. Please keep us posted and post lots of pictures when they are born as baby degu's are the cutest things ever

Kirsty

Tags
dust bath, nesting material