2 Concerns with my New Gerbils? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Unhappy 2 Concerns with my New Gerbils?

Hello All!
This is my first time here and I am so glad to have this board for help with my new guys, Mick and Keith, two Agouti gerbils. I just got them a few days ago.

They have a nice big home, exercise wheel, and all the other things gerbils love so all seemed well their first day or so here but two things have occured that have me a bit puzzled. First, the most worrisome thing is, they seem to suddenly be sleeping way too much or just sitting inside their little cave house with their eyes half open and just..sitting. Listliss maybe. I am concerned and not sure what the problem is, as they do not have any symptoms of illness that I can see..no runny eyes/noses, no sneezing, their fur looks great, their eyes are bright and so forth. They come out of their little nest/cave sometimes and eat, go on the wheel, run around, etc, but then they go back very quickly to their cave and snuggle up in there for hours and hours and not always sleeping but just..sitting there with their eyes open. I am so used to gerbils having much more energy than that so it concerns me. I just want to make sure they are healthy and happy. They also have not yet chewed up anything and I have had them for 3 days now..no chewing on their toilet paper roll at all or on their chew sticks. Just a slight nibble and they then ignore it. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Concerned Gerbil Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 06:57 PM

i think they just need a little more time to settle down, how quickly they do can depend on the enviroment they came from if they were handled alot they will have more confidence around humans if not they maybe a bit shy. id give them a few more days and lots of patient attention.
hope this helps
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Concern with 2 Gerbils and Sleeping/Sitting Outside of Den?

Thanks for the reply Fluffball!
Yes, we gave them a couple of days to settle in and left them alone and by the third day they were running up to us for a treat, and running up and down my husband to play so they are very curious and playful, not shy, so that was why I am concerned that they seem so "still" in their home. They even sit together, the two of them, for a long time, not sleeping but not moving either. Has anyone else ever seen this in gerbils?

They also kept sleeping inside a play cave on the cage add-on that we put on top of their glass tank but there is no bedding up there, so I moved the cave down below to where the bedding is, but now they are sleeping and sitting up in the cage rather than sleeping in their den down in the tank where their bedding is. Do you think they are too hot down below in the tank? Cooler up in the cage on the platforms? We do not keep our apartment too warm and there is plenty of ventilation so I am puzzled. In any case thanks for the reply and for anyone else who has advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 PM

As fluffball said.

Patience, and time. . .
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 03:13 PM

I have found boys don't seem toc are where they sleep, and while girl gerbils make big nests, boys will sometimes sleep right out in the open, or ontop of something. My three young boys do this, my two older boys used to but not in the winter.
I agree with everyone else Patience and time. What what are you feeding them? maybe they are not getting enough energy from their food?
Good luck with them, I'm sure they will be all hyper within the week. Once they know here are "home".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Smile Thank you Andrea and Zouave (RE: 2 Gerbils Concerns)

Thank you Andrea and Zouave for your emails!

The information you gave about your male gerbils sleeping out in the open is very comforting to hear Andrea.
Now I don't feel so anxious about them..I just wanted to make sure they are comfortable and they definitely do look comfortable, even if they seem to choose sleeping outside of their sleep den!
I feed them Vita-Vittles for Gerbils and I add some Forti-Diet pellets for extra protein to the mix. And I try to stay strict with the treats (hard to do when they love the treats so much!) so I don't overfeed them with Cheerios, Sunflower seeds and Pumpkin seeds as I know it is important for them not to get overweight. So they seem happy and they do have their sessions of hyper gerbil activity, then back to napping. I suppose it is all good. I was just worrying of course! Thanks again for your email, it really helped.
Vladina
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:22 PM

I think All my gerbils also nap more in the winter, so probably all these factors are probably what's making them a bit lazy

So when do we get to see pictures of the little guys?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: 2 Gerbils/Andrea

Andrea,
You know, my husband and I have been wanting to get some good pictures of Mick and Keith so we need to get out our digital camera and take a few pictures. I would love to show off my lil guys on this forum! I need to get working on that. Thanks again Andrea!

Vladina
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:39 PM

I will look forward to the photos.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:24 PM

When we first got our gerbil we just bought one at first, and she took yo us right away, we bought her because she was out in the cage at petsmart and so lively But she needed a playmate so the next day we went back and got another one, but it didn't work out to well and the new one bit, but I"m sure it was because she was scared, and I took her back. we went and bought a male and now we have 17 gerbils lol mine liked us immediately or else I just didn't notice she was shy. But deffinitely nibbles is not shy, never was. I have had about 4 litters since then and all my pups are tamed because we held them right away we have some biters but I just gently thump their nose and say no.It depends on how they are being picked up too, if you go under them they don't bite, if coming from above that is when he will bite ya in most cases. when picking them up that way they get scared because that is how hawks get them in the wild Sometimes you just have to get them anyway you can lol they are fast little critters. LOL I'm sorry I may have got off track in this thread I'll quit now
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:20 PM

My opinion is just that they're young.
It also might be the afternoon when you're looking at them...
Gerbils like snoozing in the afternoon. Also, baby gerbils
love to cuddle up together and sleep. Gerbils can be lazy, too! ^^
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Question Re: Gerbils Being Still/Lethargic?

Yes, that could have been it. They are full grown now and lively little guys but sometimes they will still stop and just sort of sit there, real still, and not move. Maybe they are just zoning out and just hanging? They have tons of stuff to do in their habitat (3 levels of gerbil penthouse and lots of toys, fluff, chews, wheel, tunnels, etc.) and we take them out daily and let them crawl over us and explore, so I know they are not bored...not sure why they just sit still sometimes like they are just staring into space?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:03 PM

They're probably deeply pondering the meaning of life.
My friend's degu stops and listens to music carefully.
Her ears go up and her eyes go into slits. She looks very calm.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That could be possible! As long as they are happy and just being mellow, that is cool, as long as they aren't sad or something? They seem very happy the rest of the time?

Tags
pumpkin seeds, sit still, sunflower seeds