3 Gerbil Questions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

3 Gerbil Questions?

Hello all!
Okay, I will get down to it, so this post is not too long...

I am trying to get a "gerbil emergency kit" together, just in case, and I read in one of my gerbil books about keeping Caro Syrup around (and an eyedropper) in case of an emergency, to revive your gerbil (a mix of some caro syrup and water) but I have no idea what parts syrup and what parts water? How much syrup? Just asking in case I ever need to worry about it. So far, two happy gerbils, but I want to be prepared.

Also, I picked up some "Bene-Bac" beneficial bacteria from Petco from the small animal section and it is a package of tubes of this stuff that is supposed to be used for small animals as an antibiotic of sorts that can help with wet tail, and other ailments, just in case. But it says "one tube for up to a 5 pound animal" and I have no idea how to administer it! Does it mix with water? If not, how do you give it to a small animal? Just wondering. Again, just as a precaution.

Third and finally, I keep seeing these salt wheels and salt blocks at Petco for small animals and I wanted to know, is this something that is really good for them? Or neccessary? My books always say stuff like "unsalted" this and that on their list of healthy gerbil treats so I thought salt was not good for them? Any advice?
Does anyone have an opinion on the pumice stones they sell as well, to keep teeth and claws whittled down? What if a gerbil ate some of the pumice?
Thanks for any answers or opinions you all! Overly Concerned and Protective Gerbil Mommy Signing Off...
Vladina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 06:57 AM

i only know the last questtion about the salt wheels/blocks
if you are going to give them from a salt block, you should watch them eat it because they might lick too much salt, they might need a bit of salt, but too much is unhealthy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Salt Blocks/Wheels

Ahh, that was what I thought...thanks Roxy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 AM

I always give my gerbils carboard to chew on, this wears there teeth down really good. And carboard comes in all forms, cereal boxes, toilet paper and paper towel rolls, food boxes etc.

The other stuff you are talking about I never heard of. If a gerbil of mine ever got injured I always used water/peroxide solution and some ointment to soath the injury.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 AM

You might wanna do some research maybe on google and you might be able to find out. Or possibly ask a vet, they should know for sure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks to both of you! Yes, I will need to do some Google research and talk with my vet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Newborn Pup

you can give your gerbils the salt blocks...having them all the time wont hurt the gerbils unless u see your gerbil trying to eat to much...but they wouldnt be on the market if they were harmfull to gerbils so it must me safe for them. if i were you i would talk to my local pet store owner. they typically know what you need for your pets!

Wakwe-Wolfe
Quote:
RIP Ivory Gerb.

Tags
wet tail