6 baby gerbils! What do I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Talking 6 baby gerbils! What do I do?

Hello all! My son has 2 gerbils. He went upstairs to check on them and came running down screaming that they had babies. I ran up to look, and sure enough....7 baby gerbils. We had no idea that she was even pregnant! A few hours later, one died.
I have no idea what to do with these little ones. This is our first litter. I have done some research...but I would like to hear from those who have experience. Is there anything that I should do for them, or should I just leave the mommy and daddy to do it themselves? How long before we can handle them? Any advice anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you don't want even more babies, then remove the father...otherwise he'll actually help take care of the babies. Make sure not to handle anyone or change anything in the cage for the next few days. After about a week, you can start handling the babies. I know quite a bit about the breeding of gerbils so if you need to know something specific then please ask. Good luck ^_^.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 11:41 AM

petlover7, you shouldn`t handle them when they are verry young,the parents might smell you on their babies and eat them.The father should be in a seperate cage because the father would most ikely eat the babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 03:54 PM

the father will eat the babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
If you don't want even more babies, then remove the father...otherwise he'll actually help take care of the babies. Make sure not to handle anyone or change anything in the cage for the next few days. After about a week, you can start handling the babies. I know quite a bit about the breeding of gerbils so if you need to know something specific then please ask. Good luck ^_^.

The father will not help he will eat them
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM

I know that this is a very old thread, but I wanted to say something here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggygirl65
The father will not help he will eat them
Gerbils are VERY different from hamsters.

It is ALWAYS adviced to leave the father GERBIL, specially with a first time mom, as raising a litter is a very hard job for the mom and the father helps a lot. However they mate right after the birth of the litter.

Hamters are a different story. Syrian hamsters should always be alone. A male syrian will kill the litter. Dwarf hamsters can be housed in groups, and males won't kill the litter if left with the female when she gives birth, but he won't help with it either... just mate with her so you'll have litter after litter of them.

When you keep a pet rodent, be sure to research the SPECIFIC rodent you have, they may be all have similar aspects, but are very different and have very different needs and behaviours. Don't assume that since you have owned one species and know everything about it, you know everything about them all.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 AM

I've had quite a few baby gerbils and there isn't a massive amount that you need to do for them as mom and dad will have it pretty much covered. just make sure they have lots of fresh food and water and keep them as quiet as poss. if a mother gerbil senses danger she will sometimes eat her babies as she thinks she is protecting them by returning them to her womb. as they get older the mom and dad get ever so proud and will quite often show them off to you by picking them up in their mouths and parading them at the front of the cage when you are around. it is soooooooo cute!!!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:02 AM

Glad this thread was here, my gerbil Depp just gave birth this morning. Didn't even notice til I went to clean the cage. Of course, now they're all squeaking. I can ween them at three weeks right?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiremaya
Glad this thread was here, my gerbil Depp just gave birth this morning. Didn't even notice til I went to clean the cage. Of course, now they're all squeaking. I can ween them at three weeks right?
At three weeks they will be opening their eyes. They are almost weaned at 4, but still nurse every once in a while, They should spend with mom at least till they are 5-6 weeks old. I wean at 5 cause sometimes mom is about to give birth again when they are 6, to give them some rest, but a lot of breeders wean at 6-7 cause they like to give the pups more time with the parents to learn gerbil ettiquette... lol. Anyway... don't wean before the 5 weeks, as they are still to young.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the advice!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:24 PM

I have another question. I've heard that the mothers are low on nutrients and that I should add powdered milk to their food, but I can only find these HUGE bags of it. Are there better alternatives? And could this have anything to do with why she's licking the aquarium walls?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 PM

From protein, I give the cat food, dog food or crickets. You can also give her a bit scrambled eggs or a peanut (unsalted) for protein. Remember that these are fatty foods, so should be given in low quantities as treats. I do include cat food as part of the diet of pregnant and nursing gerbils only.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 PM

ok thanks, I can arrange that
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:26 PM

for my mommy hammies, i know hamsters are different, i give her a little piece of whole wheat bread soaked in 2% milk...... she loves it and i used it while weaning the pups too.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM

baby gerbils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post

Hi!!! Your info was great but can I ask when do we return the male gerbil? We removed him as soon as she finished having the babies. We thought they were both males when well obviously she was a girl!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Hello Earthling

This is an old thread.

Try posting a new thread.

Tags
cat food, dog food, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters