Advice please... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Advice please...

Ok, so my poor little Rocky has somehow contracted an eye infection. We took him to the vet this morning and received some antibiotics to give him for the next 5-7 days. She also told us to keep him segregated from the others for 48 hours to help prevent them from catching said infection.

Here's the problem. I know that keeping dwarfies apart for too long can make reintroduction a problem. How should I handle this? Is 48-60 hours too long apart for them? (I added the extra because by the time I get home from work it will have been longer than 48 hours.)

For the time being Rocky is in a hammie travel cage and we have placed this right in front of the cage the others are in. The thought here was that they could still see each other and possibly smell each other, just not touch each other, so it might help. Will it? Or will having them still close like that defeat the purpose of keeping them seperated?

Descriptions of the cages are as follows, in case that helps:
The travel cage is a sandard plastic travel cage and is fairly small. We will be giving him extra playtime as compensation. The other is a Martin's cage, which has three stories.

Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 06:58 PM

I don't know if the infection he has can be carried airborne or not, but if it can, then they shouldn't be able to smell each other, and the purpose of keeping them close is that they can smell and remember each other since they recognize each other by smell (not sight). Adult dwarf intros are not easy, but you can always try it. maybe do a split cage after the infection is over, and try the intro, but be prepared to house the little guy alone in case it doesn't work.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if it can be transmitted via air either. Ryan didn't ask that question. He didn't ask a lot of questions, which just furthers the saying: Never sen a man to do a woman's job. ;p

At any rate, I will keep an eye on everything and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM

I don't think they will declan in 48 hours.

After that you can try the split screen on neutral territory, but dwarf intros are very difficult. Watch closely.

Tags
split cage