am i over reacting? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question am i over reacting?

so, i was just sitting in my room when all of the sudden i heard squeaking coming from my dwarf hamster minnie's cage. (ive had hamsters that had babies before) it sounded exactly like the sound a baby hamster makes... i have another hamster, hes a regular hamster and his name is pickles. they have never had a chance to mate, and wouldnt even be able to. ive had minnie for more than a month, and i dont know if im over reacting or not. I cant think of a way that she could have been pregnant, but i keep hearing the squeaking noise! i havnt heard this before in the time that ive had her. also, i did notice though that her teets or what ever are more visible. any idea on if its babies or not? im afraid to look incase they really are there and i accidently touch one... any opinions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my babies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

My German Shepherd Dog, Reba

My Palomino horse, Buiscet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

So literally she hasn't been exposed to a male dwarf for over a month?

And yeah, I dont think a dwarf and a syrian can mate.

Try your best to peek inside there. See if she's built a huge nest... try to get her to show herself by offering treats at the opposite end of the cage (as many as possible to stall her for time). If she comes out, QUICKLY lift up her hiding place and check. Try to touch as little bedding as you can.

If there are no babies and no blood, then there are a number of other reasons why she might be vocal, but before we go into that, make certain there are no babies.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well, her nesting spot is actually made out of bedding.. its pretty big. and yes, she hasnt been exposed to another dwarf hamster at all actually, in the past month.. what do i do since the nest is made out of bedding?

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:20 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

Hm. If her food dish is far enough away from her nest, take the dish out, rattle it around, put smelly/tastey treats in it, and sort of mess with it when you put it back. Do what you can to get her to come out of her nest and walk away from it. Then, if you have a small stick or something, gently move around the bedding.

If there are live babies in there, you should notice squirming and squeaking, they tend to squeak when mommy leaves because it suddenly becomes less warm. Poke around ever so lightly while she is distracted.

For your best shot, remove the food dish for a while, then after a couple hours (3 max) when she gets hungry, she'll be more likely to come over to the food dish with all the new food/treats when you offer it.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay, I'll try that! I'll tell you what i find out. Thanks a bunch!!

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:13 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

What did you find out?!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Find out what the sqeeking was about??
Ohh and tinipixiexoxo, sorry to hear about Jigglypuff xx
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

thanks I lost her back in September

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

Poor thing, hope it was peacefull xx

Tags
babies, dwarf pregnancy???, hamster