The Amazing Chameleon Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:54 PM
AntherStatistic

Question The Amazing Chameleon Hamster

Hi All,
OK I have a precious black bear named Lunchbox whom I adore, but she is the first hamster I have ever owned. She started out black then interestingly turned completely brown. Then slowly started gettign the black back till she was half and half now on top of her head she's a little grey. She's barely over a year old. Can anyone tell me if that is normal, or if not what may have caused it. She is in fine health playful, energetic, eats fine, likes to be handled. I think she just steals hair dye... Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:24 PM

I haven't heard anything like that before!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Lunchbox!

Hi! I read your comment about your black hamster that has been changing colors. I would suggest that its maybe a cameleon hamster. It IS an actual bredd of dwarf hamster and they're not sold very often around pet stores. They are the sweetest hamsters, in my opinion, that you will find!! Ive had 4 and all of them have been so sweet. They have a pigment in them that when they go without lights for abut 8 hours that pigment strenghtens and gives them a draker color fur. When they are in sunlight or regular light for about 8 hours, that pigment bleaches out some causing the fur to lighten. There are two petstores here in Manattan KS that sell them and some in Wichita as well. Also, they're no bitters! The anatomy of thier mouth is very different than other dwarf and teddy hamsters. They're front teeth (usually the ones they bite with) are actually tilted inward so its almost impossible for these little hamsters to get at the right angle to where they can actually bit someone holding them. They're also easier to train than other hamsters. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Playful Pup

Its not a "Chameleon Hamster", they do NOT exist they are NOT a species, they are just Winter Whites that are sold after being in too dark conditions so that when you take them home they change into their natural coat. It's a gimmick.

Also, it's a Black Syrian Hamster. It's EXTREMELY common for Hamsters with ANY black pigment to "Brown" with age. This separates the show quality Black Hams from the others, as a show quality Black Hams will never brown from it's genotype.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Betta Bomb

Everything I've looked at confirms that "chameleon" is a pet store gimmick. As is the "black bear". Pet stores need to advertise new and exciting things and market them to their biggest demographic, kids. Panda bear, black bear, teddy bear, chameleon etc. . These are all just variated coats of syrians and dwarfs.

It's perfectly normal that your hamster turned. God knows where she came from before the pet store so you don't know what genes she carries. Also, don't go for what was said by jencat that "they won't bite, their teeth are different".. Teeth that are pointed in is a bad bad sign and will likely kill the poor hamster when they grow into the roof of their mouths. I'm not sure but I would avoid anything like that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Zoo Keeper

Winter whites do NOT bleach out in light its the opposite actually. Chameleon hams dont exist nor do black bears most likely you have a black or sable syrian hamster. changing color is totally normal esp as they age

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Winter whites do NOT bleach out in light its the opposite actually. Chameleon hams dont exist nor do black bears most likely you have a black or sable syrian hamster. changing color is totally normal esp as they age
You are correct Winter Whites get a wash over their fur color and become duller versions of themselves if they are in darkness longer then light.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Zoo Keeper

I dont know why you seem shocked I actually know a decent amount about hamsters WW I know the least on but come on the color change is basic

Proud Mommy to-

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
I dont know why you seem shocked I actually know a decent amount about hamsters WW I know the least on but come on the color change is basic
I'm not shocked, I was backing you up.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Zoo Keeper

Oh ok. Sorry read it wrong. Btw Pearl WW are the cutest little things If anyone wants a color changing ham lol. But seriously hamsters are a lot of work please do your research first. And people often put them in a closet or other dark room to change the color not something I would do but to each their own

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Myn can go lighter/grey like, wen they are getting on in years, but thats all i know.

Tags
black bear, dwarf hamster, pet store, pet stores