Any suggestions for persuading parents to let me have a syrian? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Smile Any suggestions for persuading parents to let me have a syrian?

I've owner a hamster before, when I was very small (I'm 14 now), but I guess I was too young to hold much responsibility for him. I feel that I'm old enough to take that responsibility now, but I'm not sure if my parents would allow me to have one, even if I paid with my allowance.
I have a dog and a cat as things stand (don't worry, my cat has no hunting instinct whatsoever) and take good care of them without nagging and suchlike.
I haven't asked my parents yet if i would be allowed one, but do you have any ideas on how I can up my chances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 06:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Show them how responsible you are.Afterall YOU want the hamster,not them.Therefore it would be YOUR responsibility.So just show them how responsible you are and prove you will take care of a hamster for it's whole life.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:52 PM

What do you do for the dog and cat? Feed them and walk and scoop the litter? Spend time training/playing with them? That would go a long way toward convincing your parents you can handle another pet. If your parents are reluctant, it is for a reason- find out that reason and fix it if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Smile Thanks

I'm gonna try upping my responsibilities with my pets like you suggested. Think they might be a bit put out if they realised I was after something though! But it's my best bet. Thanks guys.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 05:16 PM

The best way to peruade your parents to get you a hamster!

Write a list of things you find out about how to look after a hamster and I mean like an essay at LEAST 4 pages and read them out to her when she least expects and then she'll finally give up and say FINE I'll get you a hamster!!! That's how I persuaded my mum, but I bothered her for like 3 weeks, but it was worth it!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel1231
Write a list of things you find out about how to look after a hamster and I mean like an essay at LEAST 4 pages and read them out to her when she least expects and then she'll finally give up and say FINE I'll get you a hamster!!! That's how I persuaded my mum, but I bothered her for like 3 weeks, but it was worth it!!!
Or...you could always get the hamster,bring it home and once your mom realizes how cute it is,she will be bound to let you keep it! KIDDING...DON'T DO THAT! I actually did that with my first rats...I just brought them home (I still lived with mom back then...I now live on my own,but mom would freak if I had the amount of animals I have now in her house!)...anyway she thought they were cute and let me keep them.I was 15 at the time.

That do not work with every parent tho and I have heard of stories where the parents got angry and dumped the pet outdoors or back at a pet store...etc,etc.

Just show them your responsible and see what they say then!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Title Thief Victim

haha, Thats how i get all my animals, except, mine were all abondon or negleted but i jsut brung them home and i got to keep them

Carissasaurus Rex

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
haha, Thats how i get all my animals, except, mine were all abondon or negleted but i jsut brung them home and i got to keep them
Yeah,it works for some...but not always...thats why I do not reccommend people do it!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Title Thief Victim

only if you know your parents would by it lol and youve done it before

Carissasaurus Rex

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i think the best way to convince your parents would be to save your allowance, all your allowance. have atleast $100 saved up,more would be better but. i dont know how much you get for allowance so this might take awhile. Im willing to bet, if you take good care of your other pets, and you had atleast $100 of your own money saved, your parents prolly wouldnt have much of a reason to say no. $200 would be even better, keeping in mind a good cage set up and supplies could run you atleast $50 plus you know you'll wanna but the little guy, or girl some fancy toys and yummy healthy treats.. and it would be nice to say you have $100 extra for emergency vet visits just in case something happens (this would show great responsibility on your part)
best of luck, let us know how things go

My Furry Family
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Will do
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 07:23 PM

a gerbil was my first REAL pet.. besides fish lol. the way i got it was the same as mentioned. i started taking car of my parents cats, and dog at the time (RIP bob). i asked my mom about it, and she said as long as I took care of it. you could also do some reading up about them.. not that they are difficult to take care of.. but to also show that you have done your research and are ready for the responsablity.

they are not like cats or dogs which require more attention.. small animals are great starting places.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Talking :d

Well, I think i did it the wrong way up...started with a dog and moved down! I followed your advice and...my Dad's taking me to the pet shop tomorrow! I've got 110 pounds saved up (not sure what that is in dollars) so that should be plenty to get a really nice living space for her (I'm getting a female). Thanks!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

best of luck with her

My Furry Family
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Title Thief Victim

yay cant wait to hear and see her!

Carissasaurus Rex

Tags
emergency vet, pet shop, pet store, vet visit, vet visits