Arabella is letting me pick her up!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Arabella is letting me pick her up!!!

I have been working slowly w/her everynight, and patting her and slowly trying to pick her up. Last night she started letting me pick her up from the behind, as long as she didn't see me attempt to pick her up, she was fine, and once she would realize I had her she would squirm. She had ample oppurtunity to bite me, but she did not.

Then today, I worked with her some more and now I am able to pick her up when she sees me, but she still squirms a little. We bought her a run about ball today and I picked her up and put her in it. And she kept running up to us in it staying by our feet and looking up to us like to say "Thank you".

And now I am noticing when I am doing stuff around her cage she looks at me and is curious of what I am doing and is not as nervous when I talk to her, and she is letting me pat her more. I am so happy her and I are starting to bond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 PM

It is always a great feeling when an animal begins trusts you.

My young groups of dwarfs can be easily scooped up and petted, but I won't pick them up from above of course.

I wish I had more time to fully calm the mice.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:07 PM

That's great news!
Congratulations, sounds like your going to have a great bonding hammy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

She is getting to be very affectionate. My boyfriend now tries to pat her too, and she hasn't bit him yet. One night he got done eating chicken and he was patting her and she didn't bite him. I told him I was really surprised she did not bite him because his hands smelled like food and hamsters sometimes will bite you if they smell food. And last night she was running in her ball and while she was running she got a piece of poop stuck to her, when I put her back in her cage my boyfriend took it off for her, and he was so happy that she let him help her w/that.