Arabella's soon to be new cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Arabella's soon to be new cage

sorry if this picture is too big, but it is the only picture I have of it so far.

It is a three story cage, it has an elevated ramp and stairs, so she can choose which way she would like to go up to the levels of the cage. On the top there is a pet carrier attached to the cage, when she goes in it, I can pull down the lever and close it and have a carrier for her. I was really looking for a different cage, a pretty cage and one that fit my needs. I am not sure if the wheel will be big enough, but I can always take it out and give her another one, I also ordered her a run about ball. I enjoy spoiling her

Also the hamster in the picture looks just like Arabella.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Exactly about the wheel. Bigger Syrians need about 8.5 inches in diameter. I have had brothers and sisters of very different sizes, however.

Looks like a SuperPet type cage. Very nice and pretty. But she woild like enjoy some time each day in a big wide play bin with food mixed in the bedding that she can forage for.

If one of those carriers had an opaque top, or a red transluscent one, she'd likely sleep in it. But since it is not, if you can find something like that maybe she'd use a house of some kind to hide in at the bottom.

Let us know how it goes.

She's lucky she has you as a caregiver.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Cool cage! Where are you ordering it from?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:21 PM

Cool cage! Love the carrier idea!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Cute cage.. Look forward to seeing pics of Arabella's in her own..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

He he he Zouave, you read my mind... since she chews on her bars everynight, I was thinking of buying her a big plastic bin and some toys to let her run around and play and get some of her energy out, and put a bigger wheel in there for her.

I don't think it will be a big enough wheel either, because I had wheels like these before in other cages and they were to small for syrians I had before, but perfect size for the dwarves I had before.

Samsami, I am ordering it off of E-bay, I think it is from a store called the hermit crab store, they have really cute items in it. I applied for a loan today because my hours have been really cut back at work and I want to have enough for rent and to buy her something special. I plan to pay all this off when I get my taxes, the loan is only 150, hopefully my hours will pick up at work soon, or I can get a second job where they don't over work me like before when I had 2 jobs.

Thanks for all your feedback on the cage. I can't wait to get a digital camera and take pictures of her doing all sorts of stuff and playing. Right now she is driving me crazy w/chewing on her bars, I can't wait to get her plastic bin and ball so she has other stuff to do than this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 PM

Good luck with it.

I really think all my animals pay for their own upkeep in keeping me relaxed, tranquil, and lowering my tension and blood pressure.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Zouave's Post

I agree with you Zouave,
Our gerbils really make the house cheerful, and they relax us both and are just all around fabulous little buddies to have in our lives. Giving them a good, safe and comfortable home and providing for their happiness is the least we can do to pay them back. We are really in love.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I agree also. My gerbils entertain my boyfriend and I every night, with all the funny things they do in there tank, they are always up to something. And as soon as Arabella has a bigger cage and more toys, I bet she will be doing alot of cute things.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I finally got this cage last week. Wow is it ever so huge, and Arabella is really loving it!! She runs up and down all the levels, stashes food everywhere possible, she wears herself out so fast w/all the things she does, by the time I put her in her ball she don't have much energy left. And she loves her wheel, and it is big enough for her for now, she runs on it every night.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Arabella's New Home

I am glad Arabella is so happy in her new house! We did the same type thing with our two boy gerbils, Mick and Keith. They have a 10 gallon tank below and up above, a two level cage area so they basically have a three story place and they sure do love it too!

Hey, I had a question, not just for one person but a general one to ask anyone that reads this. I thought of it when I read about Arabella's ball. I read in one of my gerbil books that exercise balls might be more cruel than a fun thing for small animals..that when they run in it, they are basically doing the only thing they can do in there and they might be basically saying, "Hey, let me out of here!"
Has anyone else heard this theory? We tried an exercise ball with our gerbils and they did not like it one bit. So we took the ball back. They LOVE their exercise wheel though! Any thoughts on the ball thing?
Vladina
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

It's good that there aren't any tubes (those aren't tubes right? they don't look like it) anyway, my neice had hamsters and the one got stuck in the tube. She failed to tell me this and it died Her hamster liked to nest in the tubes too and I think that's why it got stuck.
It's a pretty cage. Is it very wide? I'm looking for something like that maybe for my critters.

*Missy*
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 PM

About the balls... I don't know... I had a hamster that loved it... he even knew how to avoid corners and walls, and ran reall fast, and got inside the ball on his own. Of the gerbils, I've only put Martina and Kuzco in them... Kuzco just sits there cleaning himself... I don't think he understands the concept of the ball... Martina likes to terrorize Odie, following him around... pretty fun to watch. 8)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Exercise Balls-Reply to Padfoot

Yeah, maybe owners that are sensitive to what their animals might be feeling could tell if their gerbil or hamster does or does not like something. By the way, I LOVE that name Kuzco! What a great name! (Emporer's New Groove is one of my favorites).
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina
By the way, I LOVE that name Kuzco! What a great name! (Emporer's New Groove is one of my favorites).
Thanks! it's one of my faves too...

Tags
guinea pig, hermit crab, level cage