Baby - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile Baby

My new gerbil Jade had four babies last Thursday and three of them died becasue of another gerbil. One baby survived, and I've been feeding it kitten milk. I'm sure thank God that Jade is somehow still producing milk. Do you think the baby has a chance to survive. He has to be getting enough food since he does look a little fat . Do you guys have any stories about your babies? This isn't the first time I've had baby gerbils it's the 5th!!! But this is the first time I've had to help a mother feed her baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 10:04 PM

I handfed baby dwarf hamsters, but they died because I accidently choked them. >< They survived quite a while though...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Aww I'm sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Yeah, their mother died in labor. It was really sad.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm really sorry. At least you tried, thank god the mother doesn't care that I handle the baby a lot. Well at least this means it will love me when it gets older from being around me so much.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 02:48 PM

its easy to choke them while dropper feeding. i have heard about that lots of times. sorry about that!
i have bred a few litters of gerbils when i was a kid, and luckly i never came across any problems. good luck with your babies!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sorry you lost a few gerb babies...good luck on the last little one!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! But I don't think he's gonna live, since he's the only one I think his mum is having a hard time keeping track of him in her giant nest.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 AM

I also recently lost my two baby birds that I hatched from abandoned eggs...Just this morning. The temperature dropped too low. It's so sad, because I fell in love with them. I watched them hatch, and to be truthful, I felt like they were my babies.

RIP Altair and Nhi.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
I also recently lost my two baby birds that I hatched from abandoned eggs...Just this morning. The temperature dropped too low. It's so sad, because I fell in love with them. I watched them hatch, and to be truthful, I felt like they were my babies.

RIP Altair and Nhi.
Oh Keppeh, I am sooo sorry to hear that! R.I.P little birdies!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Aww I'm sorry. Yeah The last baby died. And the poor mum kept diggin through the bedding to find him/her. So i decided to get her pregnant again.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Show us some pics!!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Yeah my gerbil spaz just recently had 1 baby i was worried about her feeding him or her. they baby is now 4 days old and cuter than ever he is starting to turn grey and his hair will becoming in soon. how old was your baby gerbil when he died? I hope mine dosnt she keeps track of him hardley ever leaves him and i actually caught her feeding from her. i was so happy. Good luck with new ones
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:39 PM

I have read that you soak evap milk with bread and let them suck on it, if the mother doesn't take care of them or die, I haven't had to do this but that is what I read, I just had 3 new borns too that are 2 weeks all lilacs will get some pics and post them when I can get them again lol they are up in the wheel again, I put them up there with the other one, they were cold and gave the mommy toilet paper and she is pulling it up in the wheel so cute
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:33 AM

Now my baby gerbil precious is 2 weeks and 1 day old she is still alive she is more stable on her feet. mom and dad have a hard time keeping up with her it is so funny to watch. Keep us up to date what is going on.

Tags
baby birds, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters