BABy hamsters croaking! is it normal?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

BABy hamsters croaking! is it normal?!

i was givin MamaBear from a friend who works at a petstore because they make a better profit selling them as snake food. she came with 9 babies. 1 died within days. 2nd died 9 days after birth. 3rd died sometime last night. all i found was a ball of fur left. they r teddybear or blackbear hamsters i guess u would call em?! they look like blackbears some have white stripes down the front. the 3 were small. is 3 alot to lose from a litter? ive been crushing food for them the last few days after i seen they were eating the moms food. i have 6 left and dont want to lose anymore. tho they are all bigger than the 3 who passed on. they r about 11-12 days old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Loss of life is part of it, unfortunately. 3 isn't so big of a number at all - and it sounds like mom is working just fine, You probably don't even need to crush the food, I'm sure she's got it all covered, the babies are just weaning off of her milk is all.

Still, it is possible you could lose more, that's just part of survival of the fittest. Just make sure you don't disturb her too much, or stress her out, because then she could decide the disturbances are a threat, and she could attack and kill her babies. Just leave 'em alone, it sounds like she's doing a great job

Tags
hamster baby