Bedding (Pine&Cedar) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Salizaar

Bedding (Pine&Cedar)

I have heard alot of talk that pine bedding causes skin and respitory disease and that cedar causes liver disease in small animals, is this true?

Also my friend gave me a bag full of pine shavinf from the Plainer when they built theyre deck, would they be OK to use as bedding?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cedar is a BIG no-no. It definitely causes problems with respiratory and other issues.

Pine sort of depends. In an aquarium type setting, I'd steer clear of it. In a well-ventilated cage, I'd only use kiln dried. Kiln drying reduces some of the harmful phenols and oils that can cause problems. If you're using an aquarium or similar setup, I'd use a recycled paper litter or something similar.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 02:59 PM

Yup, the pine shavings definitely need to be kiln dried! But the kiln dried pine is easy to find...it's in any pet store or even a Wal-Mart.

I would never use cedar for any of my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JGawana
I would never use cedar for any of my animals!
Off topic, but I would use cedar shavings in a dog or cat bed. Obviously there is minimal amount and it helps keep the fleas and other little nasties away, so although not good for any small animal it does have some function in the animal world.

Not to contradict you Jodi
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:43 PM

I agree Dena...I guess I just wasn't thinking dogs since I don't use shavings for my dogs!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:40 AM

I would use cedar for large breed dogs, but not for small breed dogs. Some small dogs are barely bigger than a guinea pig and I wouldn never put a pig on cedar. However, there IS the fact to take into consideration that dogs dont LIVE on their bedding, they only sleep on it. So perhaps it is not so bad for them, especially when enclosed in zip up beds that you fill yourself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 03:12 PM

This comment is a little different but My new pup gambler was living on pine shavings, not right after he was born but 4 or 5 weeks later. I'm not sure if this is a good idea especially since puppies eat everything. I guess the breeder just caved in and used them because the puppies turn gray on newspaper- which is safer but not good when you want to sell.

Tags
breed dogs, dried pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store, pine bedding, pine shavings