Best cage for hammie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Best cage for hammie

I just got a new cage for my hammie on Fri. They say the bar ones are bad for the hamster's leg

It looks something like this:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...amilyID=12916&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM

If she is alone, that looks like a fine cage. Just keep an eye out incase she gnaws a hole in it. They have been known to do that.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonmaster: Just keep an eye out incase she gnaws a hole in it
they could gnaw a hole in plastic?
good thing she's not much of a chewer or else that would have been a waste of $32

Last edited by Roxy; 03-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM

Ra, my hamster, chewed a hole on the wire mesh lid... I wouldn't doubt that a hammy chews a hole in that plastic.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If she isn't a chewer she should be fine . I've used cages kind of like that before with some hamsters and have had no problems .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:49 AM

Flag

I've tried several different Cages of that Type.

Both for Hammies as well as Mice, and all Chewed Holes in them and Escaped.

I prefer the Wire Cages myself, I recently got a NEW Super Pet My First Hammie Home, Three Level with Ramps and Platforms all Plastic, as well as the Base is of Heavy Duty Plastic, but the Cage is Wire. Of Heavy Guage. Off of Ebay for $19.95 incl Shipping.

Wire Cages in my opinion are not Bad for any Hammie, just so long as you don't use the Wire Grate, that sometimes come with them.

Hammies Love to Climb and the Wire Cages are the best for that in my Opinion, although that thought Varies Per animal lover.

I don't like the Plastic Ones also because I've had my animals get stuck in the tubes as well.
And the ventilation is less then desired.

But in any event it's a "NICE" lookin cage.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

but if you take out the wire grate, cant the hamster escape through the bottom of the cage?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I got that cage for my neice for her mice. It's not that ventilated, but it's actually easy to clean because it just snaps apart. The tubes are easy to snap in....it's actually the easiest cage I"ve ever had to take apart. The top just sits on he bottom then there are two hooks that hold it in place.
It's not that ventilated, so make sure to clean it out once a week, or more if you have to. I've been thinking about taking the lid off and replacing it with a screen for ventilation.
Also what kind of hamster do you have? I've seen hamsters die because they got stuck in those tubes.
Also the wheel might have to be cleaned daily, it comes apart easy, and it has a turd catcher that you can pull out and dump..but still it might have to be cleaned every day or every other day

*Missy*
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

i have a dwarf hamster and she goes thru the tubes with ease.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
....Also what kind of hamster do you have? I've seen hamsters die because they got stuck in those tubes....
I have a dwarf hamster, but she goes thru the tubes with ease.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

my bad
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
but if you take out the wire grate, cant the hamster escape through the bottom of the cage?
Yes this is a possiability, BUT I've never had it Happen to me in my Many Hammies/Cages.

Even though the Pull out Drawer I use to Tape shut with folded over Scotch Tape.
So they couldn't push the Drawer Open.

And as far as Chewing throuh the Plastic Base they Could still do that even with the Wire Grate in Place.
Because some of the Plastic Cage Side of the Base is still exposed,
To the Chewing ability: is Still there and not Eliminated.

BUT WHAT do I KNOW?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Ok, those cages aren't ideal for syrian hamsters (aren't they the big ones?...hahahahaaa I don't know much about hamsters, just that they're not my favorite)

*Missy*
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Syrian hamsters are the big ones and dwarves are the minute sized ones (but they are still cute)

i think the tubes are ok for her because when she goes down she slides down the tubes, the only problem would be if she got hurt.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 PM

I actually had that cage before for my mice. They liked it and th tubes and everything are definitely large enough for a hammie. However, the only problem I found with it is that they tend to hide under that bottom level and if you dont have a social pet it is a pain to get them out!

Tags
animal lover, dwarf hamster, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, wire cage, wire cages, wire mesh