Bittersweet adventure - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Bittersweet adventure

SO the past week and a half I've been at my parent's house because they were off on a cruise in the Baltics... Lucky them.

So I had to stay at the house taking care of the pug dog, grandmother and of course I brought my Who's over too!

The day I moved all my stuff over to my parent's house, I found one of the cages I used to have.. and decided to pay Petsmart another visit to perhaps get another dwarf baby.

I found one little black female, kinda like Jigglypuff, and asked to see "that sweet one over there.." So the guy let me into the little room and opened up the cage for me. There were 5 sweet little babies in there... two black or dark brown with white on their chest and paws, two white/grey, and one smaller, all grey one with a lil white on her chest. I thought the tiny grey one was soooo adorable with her little pissed off face from being woken up.. So I picked her, but then my boyfriend signaled to me that there was a deal going on, and that I could get a sister if I wanted to (I love having pairs.. Spike and Little Joe, Shake and Meatwad...etc).

So I also decided to get a dark brown one from the same litter, she was much bigger than the little grey one but they liked to cuddle and seemed so happy.

I took them home and named the grey one Koala bear and the dark brown one Panda bear <3 <3

I took lots of video on the first few days. I took them out and let them explore on table tops and on the ground in their little hamster corral. It was so cute to see teeny little Koala try to keep up with Panda.. I was on a mission to make sure this little runt was as healthy as her sister.

But it wasn't to be. Poor Koala showed less of herself the next few days. I would deliberately open up her igloo to take her out because I hadn't seen her in a while. It had only been a few days, but compared to Panda, Koala wasn't growing.. I only saw her drink water a few times.. which made me feel a little uneasy... She didn't look dehydrated, and she also didn't look sick. Her fur was healthy and fluffy.. but she just wasn't playing or eating.

Finally, one night I decided she needed to go to the vet. I needed to be sure that she was okay so I took her out to look at her before we went. She went from having "life" in her body to completely losing it... I'm not sure if it was stress from me moving her out of her igloo, but she almost instantly died.

Her body was limp in my hands and so I put her on the table.. only when I tried to pick her back up, her body was so limp I felt like I was hurting her. She took a few breaths in my hand, turned to her side, and then passed away.

I bawled there for about 15 minutes with little Koala in my hand... Poor thing, I hardly knew her.

The video I do have of her is so adorable, it keeps me half sane to know that she was healthy and happy.. it just wasn't to be. ... she was a runt and she let her sister take over.. I don't blame Panda, no, Panda can't help she's a tubby, happy, healthy lil girl..

I also wonder if I should have left her at the petstore, but she probably would have either died there or died at the home of some small child who would be traumatized! No, I think it was bad luck, she was so cute and small but she was also a runt and therefore she was used to making way for her healthier siblings. I only wish should would have given herself more of a chance with me.. :/

So I guess I have a bittersweet new addition to my Who family: Panda Bear with the loving memory of her sweet little sister, Koala RIP

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww im sorry about your lose, im glad that h ave her sister thou and hopefully she survives

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm so sorry . At least she spent her last moments being loved.

I actually had something similar happen. I've normally rescued my hamsters but a few years ago I fell in love with a black Syrian in a pet store (PetSmart, I'm sorry to say). I don't know why but I had to take him home. He was named Ninja and was a quiet, sweet boy. He seemed really tired but I thought he was just exhausted from the car ride and new home. He died overnight . I'll never get another pet store hamster again (at least not one from a chain store).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

That is odd and a good reason for you not to get from petsmart anymore. Petsmart is where I get mine.. I'm good friends with the manager who orders the hamsters, and she has been getting babies from the same "line" for a while, so I know that I'm getting pretty much the same genes and whatnot..

Koala's sister who survived, Panda is a darling.. So quite and sweet and playful. Perhaps it is all for the best.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian