black bear hamster (syrian) care - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Smile black bear hamster (syrian) care

does any one have any information on black bear hamsters,because where i stay they have them at this petstore called petland.and they are very sweet.and i've never had an hamster before and i've been researching getting one for a while,any info would be great on the black bears hammies ,bye!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

"Black Bear" hammies are just black syrian hamsters with a cute name to sell them.They reqiure the same care as all syrian hamsters.

What do you need to know exactly?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well, a hammie is a great pet! first off, know that their eyesight is bad, so ALWAYS talk to them before scooping them up. NEVER wake a sleeping hammy, they usually awake around 8 or 9 pm. DO NOT use pine or cedar, it's bad for them, there's plenty of other affordable options like carefresh or just aspen shavings. lots of chew toys, water bottle (nice big one), food bowl. don't get a cage with tubes, they just fill with poo lol YUCK! a good diet of block food with seeds on the side, fresh veggies everyday or when you can. i wouldn't recomment that hamster fluff stuff for making beds, they could ingest it and get a blockage, or it could catch their little toes and get tight and sore. they like toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes, and the tp and pt itself. newspaper is fun, they'll shred it and make a cool bed. half a kleenex box for a hut and you're set!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 PM

help with black bear hamster

we just got a black bear hamster and need help knowing how to care for. one site said not to touch their bedding in the home but clean the rest of the cage. is this right? what do you clean the cage with. how can we help her to stop bitting us? she seems very afraid. very jumpy. what do we need to know to care for her the right way?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithgirl View Post
we just got a black bear hamster and need help knowing how to care for. one site said not to touch their bedding in the home but clean the rest of the cage. is this right? what do you clean the cage with. how can we help her to stop bitting us? she seems very afraid. very jumpy. what do we need to know to care for her the right way?
You might have more luck getting replies if you make your own thread .

Disturbing the nest isn't actually that big of a deal...the hamster will just rebuild it. Although it's good to leave it alone, don't hesitate to clean it if it gets soiled at all. Also check to make sure the hamster isn't storing fresh foods in there long-term since they'll begin to rot.

As for cleaning the cage, just soap and water should do the trick. Make sure you've rinsed the cage really well and let it dry fully before putting her back in.

Your best bet for now is just to leave her alone for a while. Hamsters need some time to themselves to get used to a new home. When you work on taming her, make sure you don't pick her up right away. Get her used to your hand being in the cage first. Once she'll take food from you, try petting her gently. Only after she accepts petting should you attempt to hold her.

I've found a great trick is sitting in the bathtub and letting the hamster run around. She'll get used to your presence and probably start to climb on you. Don't handle her at first, just let her come to you when she feels comfortable. Offering some treats will help too.

Don't be discouraged if it's taking a while to tame her. Petstore hamsters (I'm assuming that's where you got her?) aren't really handled so they can take a while to get used to human contact.

Welcome to Paw-Talk, by the way!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 AM

She is probably very afraid and jumpy because she has a new home. Give her a few days to settle in. Talk to her and offer her treats and slowly but surely she will begin to trust you. The bathtub trick sounds great. If you are afraid of your hamster it will be afraid of you. Handle her with confidence and respect and she will inturn be confident and repectful (i.e not bite you! lol!)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:34 AM

I've been playing around with my hammies for the entire week I've had them and they're never bitten me because I was pretty careful around them. NO sudden movements, and put your hands within their view and slow move toward them to pet them. This way they won't be alarmed or scared. I'm a total noob at hammies myself, but i know that much...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Betta Bomb

Well, when i got my old hamster Button he was also a petstore victim and unfortunaltey NOT handled gently since birth , no doubt so it took a really long time to get him tamed..i didnt think of the whole bathtub trick but i can bet it works miracles! what i used to do was get a glove full of my scent and leave it in the cage for a whil then when he got used to it being there i would put the glove on and move my hand a little to get him used to sharing his space! slowly i would attempt to hold him but when that didnt work and he wouldnt take treats i would hold up the exersice ball and he would crawl inside and then he would get a nice long jaunt-he hd to learn that after his exercise i would hold him..that just our story but im sure there are olther ways to it llike the bathtub,that way theres no escaping!

i found if you take away his wheel for a few nights and instead insert some ladders and ropes for him to climb on he'll get stronger and more confident.Button hardly had a wheel because i was afraid he would become dependant on it for exercise,so his exercise came from the ball (which he loved) and running freely around my room-once he was tamed of coarse!-

Good luck!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Playful Pup

Blackbear Hamsters, are a european Show hamster, most always bigger and friendlier. unless mixed with something. I know everything thinks they are a black syrian and Black bear is fancy name, but they are a european Hamster, even if it is a syrian there is still differnces between the too. Just like differnces between, american rotties and German rotties, both are rotties but bloodline are differnt and there is a big differnces in color varation and size....so Blackbears and syrians are similar becuase they are all one type of hamster but there backgrounds and personalities are differnt.

Thought i would just add this I know there is a big controversy on blackbear being the same as syrians.

Proud Mom of:
Peyton- 2.5yr Old

Tyson- 5 yr old Miniature Pinscher

Dodger-8 Yr old Miniature Pinscher

Shiverz- 3 yr old DSH

Whisper- 2 yr old Siamese

Popperz-American Guinea Pig

Oh yes and My Husband Brian(He's as bad as the Kids)

R.I.P- Gunther- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM

With Syrian / Black bear hamsters the important thing to remember is that although they are small they are also *very* active so they need as big a cage as you can possibly get for them.

There are a lot of unsuitable hamster cages out there which although they are pretty aren't good hamster homes. I would always aim for a cage that is at least 70 cm long and a wheel that is a good size - I use a Junior Wodent Wheel for my Syrian which he loves! Long and low cages are best for hamsters rather than narrow and tall as they aren't good climbers and can be quite clumsy!

My Syrian, Herbert, is a bar gnawer unfortunately so he lives in a big glass tank furnished with shelves and things though it also has a Duna Fun cage as a roof extension (joined by tubes to his tank) which is where his food and water go.

Herbert's lovely and very friendly. He's got lots of character - he was our first hamster but now we have 5 Dwarf hamsters in addition to him. Dwarfies are great but not as handleable as Syrians.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:21 AM

The only miracle in "Black Bear Hamsters" is, that a marketing gag of a pet shop got some people think, a black coloured syrian hamster is more than only a black coloured syrian hamster.

They do not have a special temperament. nor do they live any longer than a different coloured hamster.

It is also not true, that this colour originated in europe. Please refer to trustworthy ressources before spreading rumours!

There is only one European Hamster - and that is the so called European black bellied Hamster AKA Fieldhamster (german: Feldhamster), cricetus cricetus. But this species is approx. 30cm long/heigh and can´t be kept as a pet. Actually this species is due to extinction and under strong wildlife protection.

Last edited by kayHH; 07-03-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Tags
aspen shavings, bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bear hamsters, black bears, chew toy, chew toys, food bowl, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters