Bonding with my hammies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bonding with my hammies

Neither of my hamsters are very socialized, My teddybear hamster thinks I'm a peice of food and nips at my fingers, he also doesnt like to be touched.. at all. If he sees your hand he will jump over it and he doesnt like to be held with your hand around him. He is just terrified of being touched or held but love the occasional treat of cat food or dog food

My dwarf hamster is cage aggressive, he will attack anything that comes into his cage, when he is out of his cage he doesnt like to be picked up, he will squeak until it sounds like hes screaming, I've had tons of hamsters before (all syrian, this is my first dwarf hamster) and none have been as trouble some as these two. from what I read about dwarf hamsters is that they are not as domesticated as syrians so not holding them for about a week they will go back to acting wild.

I don't think the cage territorial thing is about having too small of a cage he is in a 20 gallon tub thing, maybe it's because he's alone though. Im just throwing out ideas on what could possibly be the reason. Are Dwarf hamsters normally cage aggressive? I think he is a campbells (sp?) dwarf but not entirely sure, the pet store just said dward hamster. These two dont normally get out of their cage because it is so difficult to get them back in. Both will just run away when they are in the play pen. (never together). Should I try sitting in an empty bathtub with them? I know the dwarf hamster used to like to try and climb onto my head and he was such a sweetie until he got really cage aggressive. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Hmm, I'm not sure about dwarf hamsters. I know they like to be kept in pairs. Maybe the cage is to small or something, I don't know.
With your syrian, I think you sould try the bathtub method. This is when you sit in an empty bathtub with your hamster and let him come to you and climb on you. Keep doing this everyday, starting with 5-10 mins depending on if your hamster starts freaking out, than increase the time. And as/if your hamster gets more confident, than try picking up your hamster-By scooping him up in couped hands, beneath him from ground level, because this is better than from above them- and keep him moving on your hands until he realises that you arn't dangerous.
I hope this helps
xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 PM

try to hold him/her more maybe he/her will begin to feel more comftorble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow! I guess I've been lucky with mine! Sammy is moody occasionally, but Patches and Coco are really sweet! I never did the bathtub thing, but I have heard it works really well! Also, when you give treats, start letting them take it out of your hand, then slowly work up to gently petting them while they eat it. Rub your hands in their bedding too so you'll smell like them. Hope you can bond with them, they are such sweet pets!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

what time of day are you trying to play with them?

Perhaps you need to get those rodent balls, so they can explore and have exercise and you can watch them

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I actually have some rodent balls and none of them like them my dwarf hamster cant get the smaller one to move and the teddybear hamster will just sit there. Usually anytime they are up and active which is normally in the evening (of course). I've tried putting treats in my hand and both of them are more interested in biting me.

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

If you are worried about picking them up, and worried they are not getting enough exercise, than put their cage in the bathtub with the top of the cage of to let them run around. That way, you won't have to touch them, and they will be exercised. Either way though, you will need to try and bond with them, possibly by using some of the methods provided: like my bathtub method, and also rubbing your hand on the bedding. I'm sure they will bond with you some time, so long as you keep trying. If I were you, I'd just leave them both alone for two or three days, and than start again with trying to bond with them. You just need to wait til they have settled in, and this can take a long time.
good luck.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 05-19-2009 at 01:57 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Some hamsters just do NOT want any human contact as it has been proven lol. They are fun to watch and feed but most do not want touched or lifted esp petstore hamsters. I have given up any hope on owning one again! ive had 3 and all 3 of them were VERY aggressive even with trying to train them! Good luck because you might be lucky and be able to tame your's down! x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

they were ok at first but then the dwarf hamster started biting and i was gone for about a week and i came back and would scream if i picked him up. he's doing better still wont let me pick him up but will walk across my hands. The teddy bear hamster will take treats without biting me and walk on my hands but will still freak out if i put my hand over his back but we are working on it he comes out and plays in the play pen every day

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM

I got my first dwarf hamsters 2 days ago but did quite a lot of research about them before I got them. Did you get your little guy from a pet shop or a breeder? Most of the sources said that dwarf hamsters from pet shops are usually better off just being ornamental pets. This meaning that they are better left alone, usually they are never handled when in the pet store so they go back to their instincts and some store pets are inbred which can lead to them being more aggressive.

if hes happy to walk across your hands I recommend picking him up by using a tube/toilet roll tube. Mine climb straight in if i put the tube in front of them and then climb onto my hand (you can always just tip them gently). I think they are generally a bit skittish of being picked up by human hands cus we're so big!!

Good luck!!

Tags
aggressive, biting, thinks im food