breeding hamsters - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

breeding hamsters

If I have a female panda bear hamster and a male teddy bear hamster,would it be alright to breed them?

IF I do breed them, what do I need to do? like, should I keep the father away from the babies? how long before I can take the babies from the mother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

My first question would be, why do you want to breed them? There are already a lot of animals with no homes.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wouldn't suggest breeding them. It's really hard on the female and shortens her already short life. I agree with Alfie, if you want more, there are tons who need a good forever home!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Plus you clearly don't have enough information as they are the same type of hamster.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Headlock

you can breed the two after shes in heat and he mates with her you take him out then when she gives birth and the babies are 28 days old you remove her they may look small still but thats how old there suppose to be I use to breed hamsters its not a hard thing to do =] and when you do breed here DO NOT touch her babies when there first born you can start touching them when there 10 days old =] I hope that helps =]

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm not going to tell you whether you should or shouldn't breed. I personally wouldn't because there are a lot of homeless animals out there and I wouldn't want to contribute to the problem. If you are aware that hamsters can have up to 15 or more babies, and are willing and financially able to provide seperate homes for them at between 3-4 weeks of age if you can't find people to adopt out to, then you do what you want. I just hope that you are a responsible enough pet owner not to dump them on a shelter or pet store when they become too much trouble. That's my biggest pet peeve with breeding.

The father needs to be seperated as soon as mating is complete. I believe hamsters can get pregnant again as soon as they give birth. I've been told you should breed them either in the male's cage or in a neutral area because the female can sometimes be a little too overprotective of her cage. Either way, make sure it's somewhere you can intervene if they start to fight. The tube cage may not be the best place for this reason- it's too hard to get to them. Typically you want the female in an aquarium after mating because it's safer for the babies. You want to take the wheel away from her when she either becomes too big from the pregnancy to safely run on it, or when she looks like she's about to pop because she can hurt the babies after they're born if they get under the wheel while she's running on it. Also, do you know how old she is? If she's older than six months (I think that's what it is anyway), her pelvis is likely already fused together and the babies won't be able to come out. Other than that, I'd recommend you do some serious research before embarking on this endeavor.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

I agree with everyone! Its really better not to breed. If you wanna see baby hamsters find a rescue who has a pregnant hamster already that you could adopt. Hamsters are so different then rats, mice and gerbils. I have had baby rats and gerbils and always always held them from the first day they were born. With hamsters you MUST NOT do this. You have to wait at least 2 weeks after the babies are born to touch them. I have heard if the hamster trusts you sometimes it can be done but its still not a wise thing to do. If I were you, if you really want to breed hamsters you must ask yourself why? What is your reason for wanting to breed? If your only reason is for cute babies then please do not breed. Breeding should not be taken lightly. Its a huge responsibility. You have to have extra cages. At least 2 extra cages, one for male pup and one for female pups. You have to have a good rodent vet on your speed dial just incase some were to happen and your hamster would need help delivering them. There are so many things to take into consideration before breeding. My advice is stick around here for a few months. Learn as much as you possibly can. Ask questions, as many as you want concerning breeding and heath and everything. Read and know the pros and cons to breeding. Know that you are shortening the lifespan of your hamster by doing this. If you don't plan on keeping all the offspring you need to have homes lined up for at least some lined up just incase, depending on how many offspring your hamster would have. If your breeding because you want more hamsters just rescue some. If you have alot of space even ask a rescue if they have a mother hamster and her offspring you want. Remember syrian hamsters (teddy bears, panda bears) get pretty big. They usually need a size cage around as big as a long 20 gallon tank. Those tiny plastic/wire cages are horrible and not even good for a mouse let alone a big hamster. Just do lots of research, months and months of research. Know the basics and beyond before you even consider breeding. Because theres so much more to it then just cute babies.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

These are syrian hamsters, ratprincess. They have to be seperated into individual cages between 3-4 weeks or they'll fight to the death. You can't just seperate them males and females.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

That early for syrians? I got 2 syrian brothers and they stayed together for months with no fight at all. Until someone yelled at me online so i separated them. I had to keep their cages next to each other because they were so depressed. They even made nests near each other. I figured siblings could stand to be together for a little bit. But then again i have never bred hamsters. I have only had 1 litter of dwarf hamsters but that was because a rescued female i got in was pregnant when i got her.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's what I've always been told, and has been my experience as well. I never understood how they could do it at the pet store without a problem, until I just got Scarlet who had been in a tank with her sisters and noticed she had wounds.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

really? wow, i guess you learn something new everyday. I think it also depends on the temperment of the hamster too. I have a friend who had 2 syrians together until the day they died. They were 2-3 years old too. No fight, nothing at all. They were siblings though. But its not something one should risk definatly. But I do think it has something to do with the personality of each hamster. I have never seen bit marks on the hamsters at our local pet supplies plus. They even have adult syrians in their. I dunno what stops them from fighting there or if its just the fact they are all related that stops them. Who knows really.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I guess you could just try to seperate by gender and keep an eye on them, but I'd be afraid they'd fight when I wasn't home and I'd come home to dead and injured hammies.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

yeah that is true. But 3-4 weeks just seems really young to me. On this other forum i am on they said 2-3 months to separate genders or if any sign of aggression happens. But your right, what if you are gone for even a day and they decided to fight. This is a tough call because I understand both sides and have even experienced syrians getting along wonderfully at 4-5 months of age. Its a very tough call.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They can get pregnant as early as 3-4 weeks.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

wow shows me how much i know lol. But thats why I also stated you need at least 2 cages to separate genders. I guess i had 2 males so i didnt have to worry about that. Wow I am lucky Delilah isnt pregnant. She was 4 weeks old when i got her.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

Tags
breeding, hamsters