Breeding Robos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Breeding Robos

Hey there! well after much research and thinking and more research, I have came to the conclusion since there arent any (or there anrent many) Robo hamster breeders out there, i am willing to take on that task!

I came across a website and It really gave me some much needed information! now, for those who dont know, I work at a pet store, and every now and again, we will get Robos In, but they never find homes! Or if they do , they always get returned because they are tooo fast to handle and I wasnt there to help the customer and tell them about Robos.

So my empty space of not having hamsters since christmas of 06 when my Reggi (syrain hamster) escaped and never came home after I hand reared him from 12 days old, I need a new hammy. Robos would be perfect because I have a 20 gallon aquarium and would be able to have 2 or 3 in there!

Sorry for the long post, but my point is, does anyone else breed/ keep robos out there? And what do you think of me wanting to breed? My main goal is to produce loving, Robos, and get small animals more recognition(?) as being a great pet! (I and hopefully over generations, calm the robos down a bit so they can be handled more, haha)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Hello Earthling

If you were to breed you would need to find a breeder first that produces healthy, and good quality hamsters. Animals from the pet store are not acceptable to breed.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
RAT ADDICT

I second that.
Hamsters from pet stores are often sick,inbred and have other issues and you don't want to be labeled a bad breeder for producing crappy hamster lines.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I agree with both you but the problem is I cant find anyone remotely close to where I live. Alot of breeders in in the UK and such areas. I have worked with pet store stock before, ands till am. I have a 6 generation pedigree on rats I have been breeding, and it all started with a feeder rat I fell in love with. This family of rats is well known in my area and people love them. I have not heard of any health , aggression, or anything wrong form these babies.
I know I was taking a big step doing that with unknown lines, and I am up for the task of doing it with hamsters as well. I mean I am going to wait until they fully mature and evaluate them over, even get them checked by a vet to make sure they dont have any health issues. From there i will keep a couple litters/ generation at my house to evaluate their health and behavior before i start sending any hamster to a new home. I know this will cost lots of money in the end, but If I can have a healthy, friendly line of Robos, it will all be worth it in the end.

Tags
breeding, robo hamster, roborovski