Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Breeding Winter Whites

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RenishaS 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a male and female of separate litters, but same parents breed and the babies be ok?

#3 ·
NO! It shouldnt be done, wether they are from the same litter or not, it isnt healthy. You are risking having deformed hamsters, they may not survive, and the ones that do survive
may not even live a year, in-breeding shortens the pups' life span.
Why do you plan to breed? Do you have homes lined up? Do you have the money to take them to the vet? There are allready lots of unwanted hamsters in the world. Take all of these things into consideration then decide if you still want to breed

#4 ·
My husband's friend opened a pet shop and we agreed that I would breed the animals and he would sell them. He has a vet on sight, so if I ever needed one, there is one available. Where I am living, there are not many Winter Whites around. When I went back to a local petshop to get more hamsters, they didn't have any left. My hamsters already have 3 pups that are about to turn 3 wks old and she due with another litter. I am going to separate the female and male for a month or so to give her a break.
Also have 1 sugarglider with joeys in pouch and 1 pregnant sugarglider. Thinking about breeding chinchillas too (undecided at this point).

#5 ·
Pet store?
UGH...most pet stores do not screen buyers.Your hamsters may very well end up as snake/reptile food or even abusive people! :(

#8 ·
I wasn't planning on breeding brother and sisters, I've always have known you can't. I was asking because someone I know had mentioned it to me and said they were pretty sure you could. I have always been raised around animals and know that it is not ok to do. Just one of those kinds of discussions you have with a friend and it just makes you wonder if you are wrong or not.

#11 ·
Babies from the same parents but different litters are still siblings. for example my parents had me and then seven year later had a son. We weren't born in the same litter but we share the same parents so if he and I were to have children it would still be inbreeding.

I think your friend was talking about linebreeding where the parents are distantly related, cousins or uncle/niece or something. It can still cause health issues but it's less likely to do so with inbreeding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.