Cage Picture Post! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Skratikans, where did your free roam mice and hamster do their bussiness? And did you let them roam when you weren't around? Either for just a few minute or for hours(either work or school)?

They're all beautiful cages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRose
Skratikans, where did your free roam mice and hamster do their bussiness? And did you let them roam when you weren't around? Either for just a few minute or for hours(either work or school)?

They're all beautiful cages.
OK...hehe...this is a bit of a long story...I first had a syrian hammie, named Maggie. I would supervise her the first couple of times I let her out...I discovered that she wasnt a bad chewer...I gave her some soft wood (like balsa) in her set up...and left the door to her cage open...she would retreat in the daytime to sleep and at night she would free roam in my room...I would let her free roam (althought i know this is not always the best idea) while i was in school- bc i knew that she would be asleep in her cage...at night while i did my homework she would be actively roaming around my room and jump onto my lap...she would also free roam when i slept (so basically she was a free roaming hamster 24/7..hehe)

Now for my mice, I set this free roaming thing up after Maggie passed away... I had four of them and I already had a desk set up for my mice, but they wouldnt accept them so I tested the idea of free roaming floor mice..they would retreat to their house in the day time and roam around...but I later dismissed the idea and reintroduced them to the other mice...however I had one special mouse, Molly, that was amazing...she was awake whenever I would come home, and great me on the floor...she was completely opp of shy and would run all over me and my room in circles making chirping noises to announce her presence...for her being a floor free roaming mouse was the best idea...bc she was sooo tame I couldnt believe she was even a mouse! She just had sooo much energy and even played tug of war with me!~truly an exceptional mouse

and thank you VERY much on my cages..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Molly and Maggie Free Roamin!

WOW, that is SO cool that you thought to test out giving them free roam...what animal would not love that? Just ask a human if they would like spending 24 hours a day locked in a bathroom and see what they'd say. Hee hee. It is a terrific idea and I am so glad you were successful with this! I would love to do that with my gerbils..hmmm!

Thanks so much for the great story about Maggie and Molly! Wow, Molly sounds like a total sweetheart, a one in a million! Do you still have her or no?
Vlad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina
WOW, that is SO cool that you thought to test out giving them free roam...what animal would not love that? Just ask a human if they would like spending 24 hours a day locked in a bathroom and see what they'd say. Hee hee. It is a terrific idea and I am so glad you were successful with this! I would love to do that with my gerbils..hmmm!

Thanks so much for the great story about Maggie and Molly! Wow, Molly sounds like a total sweetheart, a one in a million! Do you still have her or no?
Vlad
sadly i dont have Molly, but you are so kind to ask..lol as far as the gerbil freedom...i'm not sure that would work well bc i hear that they chew anything they can get. and in a matter of sec its destroyed...but you obviously know more about this than I..lol..but still its so refreshing to hear someone like the idea of having some of their rodents free roam..here i thought you were gonna tell me what a bad idea that was...hehe

let me know how your free roaming experiences go if you ever decide to

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Free Roaming

You are so right about gerbils..they DO chew everything in sight! I was just daydreaming for the most part but you never know

Probably does work much better with mice and other critters! But what a great idea...Well the good thing is, my husband and I both spoil Mick and Keith to death (we have no kids and no other pets, so there you go..the gerbil boys get ALL the attention!) So we take them out to play and go for "rides" (going for walks around the house and they love to ride along on our arms and shoulders, hands, etc.) So they get outside play time 7 days a week.

No, I would never say anything bad about free roaming! I think it is the greatest idea, really! I wish all pets could be that way but I know it is not safe for all pets. I just love seeing any animal have space and freedom..I am a softy that way. Good for you! and Bravo! And I will send a special kiss up to Molly.
Vlad
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM
RAT ADDICT

I love free ranging animals.Unfortunatly I don't have room to do it here,not like having a set up like Skrat.I mean,I take my animals out ALL the time,I just can't have a free range set-up like Skrat does.They live in their cages,but come out several times a day and if I have to go out,they all come out for about an hour or so.

I would love to have a rat room...have it all rat proofed and have a few cages,but keep them open,so the rats can run about the room and return to the cage when they feel like it.I wanna move soon and hopefully there will be a spare room to do that! If not,well I won't complain.

I would HATE to live in a cage...or locked in a bathroom all day.I would go crazy I think.

My gerb,Ember chews everything she sees!So I would never dream of having her out in a room or on a table to herself.Also she is kind of clumsy and has fallen off tables anyway.She hates to being handled,so I make a playground in the bathtub for her and she is happy with that.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Vanilla's Comments about Free Roaming Critters

Hi Vanilla,
Good post! I agree with you too, I would love to have a bigger apartment with an extra bedroom and more space to set up something self contained in one room for my little guys, but I don't have the room either.

We do the same thing with the bathtub playground time with our gerbils, they love it! We also have another thing we do with them that they just have so much fun with:

We put our two office chairs together (at our computer desk) so that both seats are touching each other front to front, then put a big blanket on the chair seats, all bunched up and folded over so it creates little "caves" and tunnels inside the blanket and the gerbils run in and out of the blanket and over the top and so forth. We do this with office chairs as for some reason they never jump down from them and it contains them in a safe place for running around. They usually get a good half hour a day of that, and it keeps them entertained while I change their water, food, neaten up their house and so forth.
Vlad
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
We put our two office chairs together (at our computer desk) so that both seats are touching each other front to front, then put a big blanket on the chair seats, all bunched up and folded over so it creates little "caves" and tunnels inside the blanket and the gerbils run in and out of the blanket and over the top and so forth. We do this with office chairs as for some reason they never jump down from them and it contains them in a safe place for running around. They usually get a good half hour a day of that, and it keeps them entertained while I change their water, food, neaten up their house and so forth.
Vlad
Hmmm...thats an interesting idea.Maybe I could try something similar.I don't have computer chairs...I have a couch...lol...but I am sure I can think of something!!

* Lisa *

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 PM

Skratikans a question what is the material you used to line the floors of your rat cage?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Hmmm...thats an interesting idea.Maybe I could try something similar.I don't have computer chairs...I have a couch...lol...but I am sure I can think of something!!
Yeah, we use the couch too, but most of the time for some reason, they like to hop off the couch down to the carpet but they don't do that on the office chairs. Hmm! But a couch would work great!
Vlad
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Yeah, we use the couch too, but most of the time for some reason, they like to hop off the couch down to the carpet but they don't do that on the office chairs. Hmm! But a couch would work great!
Vlad
I don't use the couch,because I am afraid they will get lost inside!I use the bed alot for them to run about!

* Lisa *

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadie78
Skratikans a question what is the material you used to line the floors of your rat cage?
I buy poplar wood at a hardware place, like lowes and i cut the dimensions out and polyeurethane around 6 or 7 coats and let them semi dry inbetween... then on the final coat i let it fully harden and dry...in the sun for about two to three days..on a really hot day

in the long run i will save money bc i will not constantly have to change out flooring...and that used to take forever to do...now i just wipe the floors down when they get pee on them or are dirty.....MUCH easier solution..heheh

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Tags
food bowl, rat cage, teddy bear