can i build a cage for my hammie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Cool can i build a cage for my hammie

I was wondering if I could build a cage for my hammie, and if so how big should i build it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 07:18 PM

Hi ratman,

Yes, you can build a cage for your hammie. There are a few different options depending on how much you truly want to "build" it.

An aquarium with a wire mesh lid makes a suitable home.

Or you can convert a large Rubbermaid-type storage tub. You can make a top for it using wire shelving pieces (you need to be absolutely certain there isn't space for the hamster to escape though).

Or, if you have a small Habitrail-type cage, you can combine it with a storage tub to make an expanded cage/play area for your hamster.

The last option is what I did for our hamster. I found a Safari cage on sale for $7 but since it was way too small, I used the tub to give her extra room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miahouse.jpg (14.0 KB, 64 views)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 07:25 PM

Whoops! I almost forgot..... if you go with the tub, you need to be sure to drill MANY, MANY, MANY holes so there is plenty of ventilation.

Also, here is another example of a cage-tub combo: Nikki's Cage

Last edited by Calypso; 07-24-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 07:43 PM

I just had another thought for a homemade cage using the storage tub. You could cut out a large square from the lid and use cable ties to attach a cube grid, like in the picture below. But since the square in the grid are too large, you would need to sandwich a piece of mesh screen or hardware cloth inbetween.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:33 AM
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Calypso, I just love that habitrail/tub cage!! How very creative! That's one lucky hamster you've got there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 10:30 AM

That is cool! Very creative!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calypso
I just had another thought for a homemade cage using the storage tub. You could cut out a large square from the lid and use cable ties to attach a cube grid, like in the picture below. But since the square in the grid are too large, you would need to sandwich a piece of mesh screen or hardware cloth inbetween.

I just made a cage for my two rats similar to the storage box pictured above. Well not similar but it uses a sterilite. I used a dremel to cute "windows" on each side. I used 1/4" hardware cloth for the caging on the windows. I cut holes around the "windows" and used quit ties to hold it on. I didn't put a hole in the top, that's just solid. The hardware cloth doesn't go up high enough that my rats can get to the top and chew at it. They haven't seemed to chew at any of the plastic ties or anything. The hardware cloth is a bit bigger than the windows and placed on the inside so that they dont' chew at the cutting. I hope this makes sense. My fiance is coming tonight and I"m going to take some pics to post on another forum, I'll post them here quick if you'd like to see it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 05:01 PM

Neat cage ideas guys!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Lee0923

I made a hamster cage using the plastic tub before. It wasn't as creative as Calypso's though...that's neat!

Personally, I prefer the old-fashioned aquarium cage. It just seems to work out the best for my little fur balls!

Tags
hamster cage, wire mesh