cat and gerbil delema - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation cat and gerbil delema

I'm taking care of my sons' cat it was just supposed to be for a week. from the moment the cat got here she has been a terror to my gerbils. I have all five cages in my room to keep them away from her. but every once in awhile she will get in here. She has been here for almost two months now. He won't come and get her because where they are now they can't have her either. I just don't know what to do anymore. The gerbils are constantly thumping and are very skittish. This is not good for them at all. I get the ones who are upset and hold them kiss them talk to them and they settle down I put them back and it starts up again. I'm so upset with my son for leaving his cat for me to take care of, I don't know what to do with her anymore my gerbils are my babies and the cat has to go for their sanity and mine. I feel so sorry for the cat but she has to go. will cats get adopted quickly at the humane society does anyone know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM

I think it would be better to act as a foster for her and try to rehome her instead of sending her to the shelter.... Or maybe you could find a rescue to help you? In the meanwhile, try to keep the door to your room shut at all times. Good luck, and I hope you can sort this out soon...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
I think it would be better to act as a foster for her and try to rehome her instead of sending her to the shelter.... Or maybe you could find a rescue to help you? In the meanwhile, try to keep the door to your room shut at all times. Good luck, and I hope you can sort this out soon...

Shelters are an aweful place for an animal to have to live, sometimes live out their days
Maybe use a spray bottle when you find the cat near the gerbils?
I've kept cats & gerbils in the same house without problems, my mother has a pair of gerbils and a cat and everyone is happy. But A friend of mine had some young gerbils i a split 'cage' and her cat was able to kill one and eat the tails off of the other two while they were in the cage. Another reason i hate cages. I now own one of those tail-less gerbils as no one wanted her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

aww... thats awful, nibbles got her tail caught in the petting zone and now has a half of a tail I love her so much. I have a ten gallon tank I had them in once, but it doesn't have a wheel. I heard those wire ones are dangerous for the tails. I am going to find a home for her I was just desperate when I posted because my gerbils are so upset. right now all of them are calmed down since I held all of them and let them know everything is ok. It is at night that they get frantic if I keep the TV on they are fine, but if it is dark and I move to turn over or something like that I will hear them thump. I have 17 gerbils now and I am going to have more while I was holding one I found she is pregnant I asked this before I think is it a safe operation for males to get nuetered? they are so small I am afraid of the anesthia. My vet will do it he says he does it but still it scares me. I left the male in with the mother and now again she is going to have babies. I was hoping it would be ok until I could separate them. I didn't want to leave him alone. My son pleads with me not to give any away but what am I supposed to do with all of them the new ones just can't bond with them lol yeah right, they are so cute it is impossible not too
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 PM

I never thought cats in the same house with gerbils was acceptable.

If so, gerbils belong in a separate room that YOU lock, and only you have the key. Attach a padlock if need be. Or, find some reputable cat rescue people. That should not be hard if you look, and if you contribute a little money to the group. Just check back on them.

That is what I'd do.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I have them in my bedroom I can't lock it really because of my kids. I will check on some places tomorrow it is too late tonight. No it is not advisable to have a cat with gerbils. I did my son a favor for one week that is what we agreed on and he didn't come to get her. I am very upset with him in putting me in this position. I am confident I will find a good home for her she is really a very nice cat just not for me

Tags
humane society