Cheaper by the Dozen? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Cheaper by the Dozen?

If they are, then I'm getting close. A month ago I was successfully restraining myself, planning only to acquire Tricky to comfort the recently bereaved Chickie.
One successful introduction later, I noticed the adoption section of Petco's website, and my heartstrings went "Plinky plinky plunk" and I thought "I'll just adopt two more, and that'll be it. Really. Truly." But there were 3 boys up for adoption (at Small Angels in Frederick, MD)and I just couldn't say no to them.
And then as I was shopping for a tank for the boys, a very nice lady by the name of Erin at Petsmart offered me two babies who were born in the store that they couldn't sell. My bleeding heart said "Oh, no, I can't let those little ones be snake food!" and my head said "Oh, really, now, am I the guardian of all the rodents in the world, no matter how cute and cuddly and furry and...oh...darnit..."
But they are a boy and girl, so of course I had to take Mommy home as a friend for the girl.
And now I have 8 gerbil friends to lull me to sleep at night with their munch munch munching and their dig dig digging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:38 PM

awww what cuties.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM

These guys are super!!!and something to keep in mind.A true snake owner will not feed gerbils,or spiney mice.The snake does not digest the fur of these lil' guys as will as the poor mouse,or rat.I'm not saying people don't do it i'm just saying chances are slimmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 PM

What can we say... we are complete suckers and the little guys always have us in their little paws... lol... What cuties they are! I love black pied gerbils (or any spotted/pied/mottled gerbil for that matter...) Who are you going to pair the little boy with? What are their names? 8)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:07 PM

Aww! They are so cute, and good on you for taking the others in..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:04 PM

Cool

I have 23 gerbils, most rescues. I may soon rescue another.

How can I resist?!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:19 PM

hehehe... time to start the G.A. groups for all us Gerbil Addicts! LOL
Congratulations on the new fuzzies!

I kept saying, I'll stop at 4, then 10.. then 11, now I'm at 13, and i still want two more LOL.....

One thing I think is silly, is people ask me how I can remember all there names? There like my little kids, give me a break of course I know all their names! Maybe if it was like 200 gerbils or something i may get a bit confused :p
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
One thing I think is silly, is people ask me how I can remember all there names? There like my little kids, give me a break of course I know all their names! Maybe if it was like 200 gerbils or something i may get a bit confused :p
Oh! I get that so much!!! Even my classmates, who all LOVE animals are like "your 13 mice have names?" Of course they have names, they are my babies!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 AM

26 was my all time high and yep i knew each and everyone of them their personalities and their names!!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM

awww they look so cute! i like the black and white ones
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:26 PM

For people who come over, or take care of my clan when I'm away I have names of the gerbils on the outsides of the tanks.
I also have a "care Sheet" that get's sent along with the gerbils, it has there pictures and names, who they are caged with and what type of tank, their ages and personalities. Then of course web sites on gerbil info, what to do if "this" happends and emergency #'s inclusing a breeder near by... yup i'm so over prepared.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for admiring my little guys. They are so precious, and they each have a personality--I haven't named all of them yet, since I haven't gotten to know them well enough. The argente girl in the first picture is Chickie, and her friend is Tricky. It doesn't show in that picture, but she has white bars on her front feet, which I think is painfully cute. I have her to thank for being able to get more gerbils--she won my sister (roommate) over by being so sweet and friendly right from the beginning, and because her hind feet are both missing lateral toes--we love the underdog in the Robarts household. The argente baby boy's name is Little Bun--he looks like freshly baked bread to me. And the black and white boy who's in focus in the picture is called Hopalong Cassidy. When Little Bun is 5 weeks, I'm planning to introduce him to the three brothers, which leaves agouti baby and dove mama as company for one another.

Tags
snake food