Chinese hammies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Chinese hammies

can anybody tell me about them? i dont need like facts and stuff, but personal experience. are they social hammies (to humans) , or do they like each other?:con fused::con fused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have a look at the various articles here and posts. Also at the following link:
http://www.geocities.com/calhamassoc/Newsletter.html
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 PM

I would never, ever own a chinese hamster personally. My friend had two Chinese hamsters, she thought they could be kept together, so she put two of these adorable little guys together. They lived together for months and then she looked at the cage one day and one of them had torn the other ones head off and eaten some of it So no, they are NOT "social" with others of their species...and we had to use leather gloves to handle them because the little turds would bite bite bite bite crawl an inch bite bite bite bite...one time I lifted the cage and one ran over and bit me right then and there...OUUCH!! So with my experience, they are not AT ALL social with others of their species, and not very social with humans either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeBre View Post
I would never, ever own a chinese hamster personally. My friend had two Chinese hamsters, she thought they could be kept together, so she put two of these adorable little guys together. They lived together for months and then she looked at the cage one day and one of them had torn the other ones head off and eaten some of it So no, they are NOT "social" with others of their species...and we had to use leather gloves to handle them because the little turds would bite bite bite bite crawl an inch bite bite bite bite...one time I lifted the cage and one ran over and bit me right then and there...OUUCH!! So with my experience, they are not AT ALL social with others of their species, and not very social with humans either
While I agree that they are usually best off alone it's not fair to say they aren't social at all with people. That's just one case and who knows where they were from? If they were from a petstore...then, well, it's pretty obvious why they were so moody.

I've met a few different Chinese hamsters and they were pretty friendly.

It's just like when people claim the Dwarf hamsters are mean. I haven't found this to be true at all...I'd imagine that most of the "mean" ones are inbred petstore hamsters from mills.

Just my two cents.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sasami is absolutely right. When you get a pet from a store, God only knows where it came from. And not even then...:-) The stores get their 'stock' from anywhere and the owners suffer a lot. I would never buy a pet from a store.. There are enough of respectable, responsible breeders around to provide for any of your breed/colour combinations...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

okay that takes them off the list

and
i went to the pets store the other day and there were a bunch of newborn russian dwarfs. and these babies that were one week shy of being bought! im gonna put pics later...once i figure out how...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Dwarf chinese's are very sweet... we keep 4 together. Occasionally there is fighting, but just keep an eye on them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM

I have a chinese dwarf and she is really so loveable and easy going, and i got mine from a pet store, she doesnt like other hammies though cause i tired to put her together with another hammies and she started attcking him so I had to put him in a different cage. But she doesnt bite anyone so i guess it all depends on the hamster.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelywrath View Post
I have a chinese dwarf and she is really so loveable and easy going, and i got mine from a pet store, she doesnt like other hammies though cause i tired to put her together with another hammies and she started attcking him so I had to put him in a different cage. But she doesnt bite anyone so i guess it all depends on the hamster.
You put her together with hamsters of other breed? This should never be done.. as they seldom get on.

Yes, it really depends on the hamster. it is not assumed that ALL pet stores are bad. There are many responsible storekeepers, who take care of their 'supplies'.. but, there few who could not care less. And, unfortunately, it's these that give the pet stores bad name. My local pet shop has a large variety of supplies and some pets too. The place is very clean and roomy. The owners are quite knowledgeable and helpful..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:17 PM

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Chinese hamsters - you could do a search on Google, typing "Chinese hamster" into the search box and see what results you get.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Cool hmmmm..?

honsetly..i dont really know much about chineses hammies..but they should not be much different from any other hammies..NEVER ever put two hammies of the same sex in the same cage..after about a month old they cannot live with each other trust me..look at my other threads and you will see. anyway just look up regular hamster info. and you should be good to go. or consult your local vet/pet store.

Good luck!
<3
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Will It Ever Change?

this site might help

http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters/chinese_hamsters.htm

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:32 PM

Why is everyone down on pet stores? I have gotten all my small animals from Petco(Do they have those in Canada by the way? I'm going there soon and want to get my hams a souviner)And all have turned out as absolutly (Spell?) great pets. The only mean hamster I've EVER,EVER purchased was from PetsMart.(Or PetSmart) And where,(now I don't know where this person is from, but) is this person going to find a Chinese hamster breeder? Good luck though!

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, local pet shop, pet shop, pet store, pet stores