confused !!!!help please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

confused !!!!help please

when we camee home i went to my room to let my cat in and i saw that the gerbil bedding was messed up. I was freaking out cause i thought she lost the baby...as we found out the baby is still alive in the corner. I am confused on why the mother is changing the bedding around. is this normal? Please help i am scared.

Also i am painting my room sometime next week i already have the paint i am taking the gerbils out of the room however should i keep them out until all of my other stuff is moved in and dry scences how the baby is in there. thanks

breyann

mother of :
sky(almost 2 year old cat)
misskitty (my fat cat)
nibbles(gerbil)
spaz(gerbil)

and grandma of preciouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:45 PM

They move the babies all the time it is just something they do, because they are scared or whatever but it is normal. I have a gerbil named Nibbles too I would move them out of the room of course, and wait until the paint is dry before you bring them back in.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

thats awsome I love my gerbils i cant waite until precious grows up. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:14 PM

Mom shouldn't be moving the baby constantly, it usually will mean she is stressed out. Cover a side of the tank with a towel, and keep the noise and distractiosn to a minimum where they are.

As for painting, untill the paint smells/fumes are gone I would not put the gerils back in that room for some time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:40 PM

Moms and their pups...a mystery only mom knows for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
Mom shouldn't be moving the baby constantly, it usually will mean she is stressed out. Cover a side of the tank with a towel, and keep the noise and distractiosn to a minimum where they are.

As for painting, untill the paint smells/fumes are gone I would not put the gerils back in that room for some time.
I agree. When my black bear had her pups she would get stressed and i didn't know what else to do. So i put a towel over one side of the cage and she became less restless. It seems that with a little dark and comfy area mom feels more she can trust you and that you want to give her that space she needs.Trust me she can't wait till you hold those little bugers and get them off her tail for a few just mommy mins.

As for the paint to be on the safe side i would give it a day or two or until YOU feel its okay...because you also know what is best for your animal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone it is very helpful thanks again....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Yes, be sure not to put the mom and baby back until well after the room is aired out. Pups are more susceptible to respiratory infections, and you wouldn't want the paint fumes to set it off... Good luck, and as others have said, covering part of the cage will help the mom feel more secure...

Tags
black bear, respiratory infection, respiratory infections