Cookie is ill :c - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Cookie is ill :c

Cookie def. has some kind of bug and I can tell right away.. First, her face is moist looking and she does not open her eyes. It looks like a bit of mucus. Second, she does not feel like her usual plump self, I could feel her hip bones, and third, her tummy was hard! Like there was something solid.

She usually drinks an inordinate amount of water, but today not so much.. if she is constipated, she needs water! I offered her some lettuce and her favorite seeds, and she turned them down :/ for sure something is wrong.

Now she's in the corner of her cage standing upright, sleeping as if she was chewing on the bars. :/ I hope it's just the little flu they sometimes get... It's amazing how quickly their little bodies change when reacting to illness

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM
is a little "special"

Poor Cookie. Have you taken her to the vet?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

No she hasn't been to the vet. This morning I checked on her, and she is in her igloo sleeping.. looks normal. I'll know later in the evening if she is still ill.. I don't want to disturb her if she is resting.

Last night, despite her protests (angry chirps and a couple nips), i picked her up and bottle fed her some water.. she was very eager. Her tummy still felt "hard" but she took the water like a champ. I also noticed, the lettuce i offered her is gone. Really hoping it was just a little upset tummy or flu, and she is recovering.

Also washing my hands like an OCD person (I do anyway) to make sure nothing gets spread among my critters.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

I had a dwarf hamster (Ewok) that died of a bloated belly. I had no real warning, I didn't notice anything off. I went the next morning and she unfortunately died with a big puffed up belly. I can only assume something was lodged or blocked? But it felt rock hard.

Hopefully your little one will get better!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchilla View Post
I had a dwarf hamster (Ewok) that died of a bloated belly. I had no real warning, I didn't notice anything off. I went the next morning and she unfortunately died with a big puffed up belly. I can only assume something was lodged or blocked? But it felt rock hard.

Oh no how sad :/ Thank you for sharing this info with me. For Cookie, I wouldn't say it's puffed out.. she has lost a considerable amount of weight in the past 24 hours but her stomach does not puff out. It's solid though. I actually pulled out a poop that never made it's way out.. I'm almost sure she's blocked somehow. I keep trying to get her to take water, but I've noticed that she hasn't eaten like anything. I found the lettuce I gave her last night.. she didn't eat it. It looks like she tried.

I think this might be her last night.

Thanks for your support everyone.. If she does pass, I will put a memorial for sure. If not, I will be so happy.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchilla View Post

and Ewok is by far the cutest name for a who (dwarf) ever!!

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
It's all for them

All paws crossed for little Cookie.

Declawing: please read this first
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Well, she passed away. I will have to clean my entire apartment with Lysol to ensure that my other dwarf and my hedgehog are not affected.

Sad day :C

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Wishing your other critters good health!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
It's all for them

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved little Cookie.

Declawing: please read this first
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Zoo Keeper

there is a forum I would highly recommend for hamsters if you ever want it. I'm actually part of it they have an ailments section that is great.

I'm so sorry for your loss I know how hard it is to lose a little one.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
there is a forum I would highly recommend for hamsters if you ever want it. I'm actually part of it they have an ailments section that is great.

I'm so sorry for your loss I know how hard it is to lose a little one.
I would like that, actually...

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
she-mayor of Whoville

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Zoo Keeper

Its hamsterhideout.com ... When you join I have the same name there and you can add me as a friend its really a VERY helpful site

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Playful Pup

So sorry for your loss rest in peace little Cookie

Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3