Cranky gerbil - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cranky gerbil

Never seen this before in any of my gerbils, his top tooth (just lost one) is extremely short less then half of what it should be. He seemed to be fine except for that until i picked him up with one hand and moved him to my other hand, he completely freaked out and just about jumped out of my hands and he bit me. This could be something to do with him getting a little older, maybe because he's living by himself. The only thing in his cage I changed lately has been the type of bedding and added some hay to make a nest. Seems really kind of lethargic but he is eatting and drinking. He isn't that old but he isnt that young either he's almost a year and a half. I had both the parents and they were extremely healthy. Any ideas on what could have caused it?

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:56 PM
the rodent lover<3

has the change has been gradual? If so, it might just be normal aging. However, a sudden change in behavior is something to watch on. Watch your gerbil closely for 24 hours or so and observe what you see. If you keep weight records, weigh your gerbil again. If something has definitely changed, behaviorally, in his/her appearance, or you observe a sudden weight gain or loss, see the vet. I honestly don't know . All I can think of is Aging.
About the tooth, it probably got chipped. Does it look chipped? Or straight at the edge, like A normal tooth is?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I am allergic to maths

Has there been any changes in the weather, it sounds like he is too hot. My other thought was maybe the tooth was cut too low and hit a nerve ending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

never had him snap like that,his weight is normal, i have his sister who is the same age and she is doing just fine, his tooth is cut straight across and looks like it could be close to the root. He's seems kind of depressed since his two cage mates died (older brothers) i tried to put him in with my other males but the other chased him and he didnt do anything about it. Hopefully everything turns out all right but it probably is just old age

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1

Tags
biting gerbil