Critter Canteens for Rodents are they SAFE? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Question Critter Canteens for Rodents are they SAFE?

In my New Hammie Kit I just got, it had a Super Pet Critter Canteen included in it.

You know the type with the Spring Loaded ball in it, It's suppose to 'HELP' keep the bottle from dripping as much.

And I was wondering if anyone ever has used them for any of their pets?

And if so have you ever had a pet of yours have any problems with using them?

I got one a few years back for my Guinea Pig, who is an avid user of a Water Bottle, as well as a Water Dish.

And when I changed him over to a Critter Canteen, he 'NEVER' did figure how to use it. In a 3 day time frame.

If it hadn't been for the Water Bowl I left in his cage, he would've been hurtin, And he prefers the Water Bottle over the dish anyday....

Should I try it with my New Hammie?
Or stick with the everday run of the mill type of Water bottle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:34 AM

I've used critter canteens with chinchillas, rats and hedgehogs with the only problem being they chew the plastic bottle. But, I remedied that by using the screw on nozzles on the smaller YooHoo Chocolate Drink bottles (they are glass) I've never had a small animal not figure them out
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've used them in the past with no problems...I actually prefer them for the rabbits .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

I normally use the steel water dishes for my rats,but am currently usinf one "critter canteen" for one of my rats and I have had no problems with it.My mice and gerbil have plastic water bottles, but with a clip thingy, so they cannot chew at it...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

My rattie has a critter canteen. He drinks out of it but I think he has a little problem pushing the ball in. I was watching him yesterday and noticed that he would sip at the water, then kinda bite it so it will drip more water. He's not much of a chewer so I guess that's a good thing.

*Missy*
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
My rattie has a critter canteen. He drinks out of it but I think he has a little problem pushing the ball in. I was watching him yesterday and noticed that he would sip at the water, then kinda bite it so it will drip more water. He's not much of a chewer so I guess that's a good thing.
Thats exactly that.

My Pig likes to Chew at the End of the Sip Tube, Causing it to jiggle.
The Ball moves it Drips he Drinks....

With the Critter Canteen, He tried this but because if the Spring Loaded Ball it wouldn't Jiggle and there for NO WATER came out,

He did'nt figure out to Push on the Ball.
And he isn't a Dumb Pig, He figures things out in a Snap.

This is why I'm Scared to use the Spring Loaded Critter Canteen,
Instead of your standard Water Bottle.

With what little a Hammie drinks compared to my Pig, By the time I might Notice He's not Drinking it might be Too Late...

Once again What do You all Think.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I got a waterbottle at walmart that works fine
It was like $3 and would be a good size for a hamster. I use it for my mice. That ball isn't spring loaded, but it doesn't leak. There are also silent sippers but the valves on them are hard to push in, even for a human. My rat could do it but I doubt a hamster could. The only thing I could say was try it with the hamster, but be prepared to buy a new one. Just check the water level, or maybe you could draw a line where the level is, check it the next day and see if it's gone down. I'm sure it would be noticeable if you buy the smallest bottle they have which would be ideal for a hamster.

*Missy*
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yep...agrees with Pinkie...try it out and if it doesn't work,buy another water bottle...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
guinea pig, water bowl