Deformed hamster, no teeth - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Deformed hamster, no teeth

I got this hamster from Petsmart today (I know.. I didn't need another one...) and he's has serious deformaties. His eyes bulge and his face is just weird looking. The problem is that he doesn't have any teeth. They're little nubs. He obviously can't eat lab block and has probably been living off of seeds. What can I feed him that will give him a well-balanced diet?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Poor little guy.
what kind of hamster, dwarf or syrian?

i would do a mash, and apple sauce/baby food for a syrian.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Warm scrambled eggs mixed in with pureed brocolli.

Vegetable and chicken baby food, "stage three". Not too much.

Cottage cheese. ANY suitable veggie can be easily pureed in a little water with a cheap hand blender; any excess you can eat yourself!

You can also take a cheese grater, and grate some cheese, and even grate some nuts.

Photos??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He's a long haired syrian. I'm going to give him a day to adjust. He's a bit freaked out right now. He's been running on his wheel since I got him home three hours ago. On a positive note, he can't bite me, just sprinkle and poo. I was going to name him Chuckie because he looks like the Chuckie doll, but that freaks me out. I'll need help naming him as soon as I get a photo.

So here's what I'll do, mush some lab block, add some scrambled egg and every night give him some baby food or pureed veggies. I won't eat the leftovers. I'll give them to my other five hamsters, three guinea pigs, or 12 rats...lol.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:59 PM

aww poor little thing. did you notice the deformalties at the pet shop? i hope you take extra good care of him.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, that's why they gave him to me.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Here are some pictures.

These show his pattern.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/IMG_4748.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/IMG_4751.jpg

Here's his face.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/IMG_4750.jpg

"Whoo, bright light..."
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/IMG_4753.jpg

"There it is again!"
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/IMG_4754.jpg

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 PM

awwwwwwwww he's so cute! I'm glad you were able to get him and take good care of him. A pet store is no place for a toothless hammy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He's so cute! Good luck with him .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...glad he is with you now!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:17 PM

Awwww he's so adorable. He has a little baby face. Good look feeding him and taking care of him. ^^ What a cutie...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 AM

his eyes dont look like they are sticking out in the pics, well he dosent look too bad. take good care of him
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 04:24 PM

I agree. His eyes look normal. His mouth is clearly bare, however it seems to make his face look even more...Babyish. Hard to explain. Though he looks cute, it must make it very hard for the little guy to eat...Be sure to take good care of him!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

His eyes only stick out when you hold him. They don't do it so much anymore. He must've just been scared.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
guinea pig, lab block, pet shop, pet store